Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher asking child if they're allowed write out communion...

Options
  • 18-11-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

...prayers, even though the school were specifically advised that the child should not be prepared for communion in any way. Mate of mine told me they wrote to the school, had chat with proncipal and there was no issue, new teacher arrives in to cover maternity, is aware that child is not making communion. Child comes home to him on Friday and says "miss asked me if I was allowed write out the prayers for communion" ? What does he have to do?

He told his child not to worry that he would talk to the teacher on Monday morning and reiterate it.

What part of "any way" does she not get :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

vicwatson wrote: »
    ..the school were specifically advised that the child should not be prepared for communion in any way. Mate of mine told me they wrote to the school, had chat with proncipal and there was no issue, new teacher arrives in to cover maternity, is aware that child is not making communion. Child comes home to him on Friday and says "miss asked me if I was allowed write out the prayers for communion" ? What does he have to do?

He told his child not to worry that he would talk to the teacher on Monday morning and reiterate it.

What part of "any way" does she not get:confused:

I'd say that's your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I am a primary school teacher (who is strongly against this communion shìte in school, so I'm one of the good guys :D). From experience, I can say that children can repeat something at home and unintentionally make it sound 100 times worse. The teacher may simply have said in passing "Oh, you're not supposed to do this, are you?" or something else along those lines. That might be all. Still worth mentioning it just in case, but it's probably nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

number10a wrote: »
    I am a primary school teacher (who is strongly against this communion shìte in school, so I'm one of the good guys :D). From experience, I can say that children can repeat something at home and unintentionally make it sound 100 times worse. The teacher may simply have said in passing "Oh, you're not supposed to do this, are you?" or something else along those lines. That might be all. Still worth mentioning it just in case, but it's probably nothing major.

Good point, I totally agree. Teachers can be nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Teachers can also be non-religious and sweating bullets that the boss - invariably the parish priest - finds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

number10a wrote: »

It turns out that the teacher did infact ask the child to ask their parents if they were allowed to write out prayers etc !! Pal had a word in her ear and all is cool, he still thinks she should have spoken to him and not asked the child, and I agree with that. She wanted to clarify if the parents were ok with them writing our prayers for homework, teacher was told that "no preparation for communion in any way", means just that. Teacher was ok about it all. She's only new in covering maternity so he gave her some slack !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

What an odd thing to assign as homework... that would be like getting lines as homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I have found that eternal vigilance is necessary as there is a culture that the parents are wrong and the child can be saved.
    I cannot count how often I have had to remind schools to respect my Constitutional rights and the excuses are always 'we weren't sure', 'we didn't know', 'we thought that would be okay...'
    Well it isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I've never had an issue with homework being given from "Alive" workbooks. Child just goes in without that homework done and a little note in homework journal saying "not religious". It hasn't been a problem - it's only ever been that child writes down the homework off the board like the rest of them - he was never told to do it.

Advertisement