Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody staying up for Broner vs DeMarco?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Could be decent. Also, Seth Mitchell vs Jonathan Banks is on the undercard.

Just a few hours now....

Patient%20Bear.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Was thinking about it, but there's a good chance Broner will dismantle Demarco and I could probably wait until morning to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm a glutton for punishment so probably.
    Thankfully Mitchell will probably make it an exciting night at the very least.
    I would love to see Demarco pull off the upset aswell but I really wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Big Ears wrote: »
    I'm a glutton for punishment so probably.
    I would love to see Demarco pull off the upset aswell but I really wouldn't count on it.

I think he probably has a better chance than he's given credit for.

I think he probably has a better chance than he's given credit for.

Well he's on another level to any of the guys Broner fought at Super-Featherweight, bar Ponce De Leon, but Ponce isn't really a Super-featherweight.
    You could make a good case that Ponce should have won that too, but anyway DeMarco is a bigger fighter than Rodriguez, Perez and Escobedo and he's a pretty big puncher too, with quick hands so brings quite a lot of danger compared to previous opponents.

But he's just too easy to hit imo, which will prove DeMarco's undoing. But no doubt I'd expect a closer fight tonight than Broner's last few.

Well he's on another level to any of the guys Broner fought at Super-Featherweight, bar Ponce De Leon, but Ponce isn't really a Super-featherweight.
    You could make a good case that Ponce should have won that too, but anyway DeMarco is a bigger fighter than Rodriguez, Perez and Escobedo and he's a pretty big puncher too, with quick hands so brings quite a lot of danger compared to previous opponents.

But he's just too easy to hit imo, which will prove DeMarco's undoing. But no doubt I'd expect a closer fight tonight than Broner's last few.

Yeah his defence isn't great, but a tall rangy southpaw with a good chin is never a tantalising prospect for opponents!

• Advertisement

Stick to the American Football Seth.

Emmanuel Stewart would be a happy man looking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

God I enjoyed watching Banks KO Mitchell!!
    Mitchell is an all right guy, but was being ridiculously overhyped, simply because he was American and he was brutally shown up tonight.
    Also poignant as Banks is Manny Steward's seeming replacement in the Kronk gym.

Well he did, but for all the wrong reasons (from Mitchell's point of view).
    Never a more apt time for Jonathon Banks to pull off the biggest win of his career.

Bit of a rant I know, but in the leadup to a big fight you so often get commentators making some completely fraudulently incorrect statement just to hype the coming attraction. De Marco is walking to the ring and yer man says "De marco won the title off Jorge Linares on an 11 round TKO, but he was way ahead on points so it was a fait accomplis...." Well actually De Marco was so far behind he needed a KO!!! Plus, despite the cuts, I thought it was a premature stoppage.

Anyway, the knobend will probably win on points, hopefully not.

Broner looking his usual sharp self. DeMarco fighting a stupid fight by trying to go inside and getting a beating.

The strength and speed differential is huge.

• Advertisement

Broner looking his usual sharp self. DeMarco fighting a stupid fight by trying to go inside and getting a beating.

The strength and speed differential is huge.

Agree entirely.
    He was competing quite well from the outside, then he goes and eliminates his height and reach and starts getting well beaten.

Feel bad for DeMarco...good thing he was KO'd there rather than prolonging the beating.

The Adrien Broner Express steams on...

I don't like him, but Broner was very impressive. I don't think he's that big a puncher but he's skilful, hard to hit and has a good all-round game. Having said that De Marco fought a stupid fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

megadodge wrote: »
    I don't like him, but Broner was very impressive. I don't think he's that big a puncher but he's skilful, hard to hit and has a good all-round game. Having said that De Marco fought a stupid fight.
    Yeah Broner has some skills thats for sure the kid has a big future ahead of him he will most likely be a big star in boxing over the next few years also yeah he can be a annoying but what great fighter isnt a bit cocky and him being cocky will draw crowds and make him more of a mainstream star and boxing definetly needs that once pac and mayweather retire

Great performance from Broner, precisely what his career needed. Demarco is brave as they come but he was a punching bag against a stronger, faster guy. He genuinely had no hope the way he fought. I normally place no credence whatsoever in those compubox stats, but when a guy has a 58% 'connect percentage' it's a sign the opponent had no defence whatsoever. I don't know if Pacquiao even had that high a percentage against Hatton and that was only over two rounds.

I don't think Broner will find too many as fast as him, but I'd like to see him in with someone as physically strong as him. He still looks a bit flustered when someone is swarming him and his defence is not even related to Floyd Mayweather's, despite the superficial similarities. There's no one in the very weak 135 division for him to be afraid of, but there are a few Junior Welterweights that would give plenty to think about.

Can't wait for Broner to move up to 140....stacked division. **** will hit the fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Broner has a hell of a lot of talent. Excellent in the pocket fighter. Very fast hands, and lovely variations in his punching. Broner also has excellent stamina, and is physically quite strong. Jeez, how many right uppercuts did he hit DeMarco with?

I forgot Gamboa is notionally at 135. Him and Broner is a fight I'd like to see. Burns-Broner should happen sometime nest year as well, although after last night I have my doubts about how competitive it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Henno30 wrote: »
    He still looks a bit flustered when someone is swarming him and his defence is not even related to Floyd Mayweather's, despite the superficial similarities.

He seemed to get very straight-on and his upper body movement diminished when he began to fight more on the inside. I'm not sure if that was an oversight based on his lack of experience or whether he just felt happy to take DeMarco's shots, knowing that he couldn't really be hurt?
    He began picking the punches really well when he got in close though. When he was fighting at range his defence was more impressive, but he wasn't throwing a great deal. I'm sure he's more than capable of finding a middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gamboa-Broner would be a great clash of styles. Would Broner walk Gamboa down? In doing so he would be hit, and hard. I'd love to see that fight at 135 lbs. Rios-Broner at 140 would be another one to pay for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement