Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-malarials

Options
  • 18-11-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if it is really necessary to take anti malarial meds such as the low dose antibiotic type, on a daily basis if you were going to be in a malaria zone for several months. Would it suffice to be extra aware of being bitten by mozzies and then if feeling ill, malaria suspected, take the antibiotics for whatever period of time...

....I think it's more complex than that, different strains etc but just wondering... generally!

Not looking for medical advice here, just curious. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I've already picked up 100 Doxycycline, the low dose antibiotic. These are for a 6 week stay in a city in Ghana, then home for 10 days (when I have to get more of the meds) then back for possibly 3 or 4 months. It just doesn't sit well with me the idea of being on these pills for so long. Plus, I believe Doxycycline has an annoying and unpleasant side effect for women. :rolleyes:

I have a supply of DEET, tend to cover up and won't be travelling much. Accomodation should have air conditioning too. So maybe it would be worth considering Agnieszka_88's method.

I will ask my GP as I have to go back to him anyway to ask for the meningitis jab he forgot to advise me I should get! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, this is clearly a request for medical advice, irrespective of what you said in your first post. thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement