Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planets

Options
  • 17-11-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

my 11 year old asked me why the planets are round.Any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

All of the planets are round because of gravity. When our solar system was forming, gravity gathered billions of pieces of gas and dust into clumps which grew larger and larger to become the planets. The force of the collision of these pieces caused the newly forming planets to become hot and molten.

The force of gravity, pulled this molten material inwards towards the planet's center into the shape of a sphere. Later, when the planets cooled, they stayed spherical. Planets are not perfectly spherical because they also spin. The spinning force acts against gravity and causes many planets to bulge out more around their equators.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

God wanted to play Michael Jordan in Space Jam & ran out of balls.. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

I thought gravity was supposed to be everywhere... so why is it not in space (only gravity near planets or other objects). Or is it just alot weaker in space and greater near the planets etc.

What causes gravity?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

I thought gravity was supposed to be everywhere... so why is it not in space (only gravity near planets or other objects). Or is it just alot weaker in space and greater near the planets etc.

What causes gravity?

Gravity is one of the 4 forces of nature.

Its postulated to be caused by subatomic particles called gravitons, inside atoms. Atoms make up matter; physical objects like planets and everything including you!

Therefore, where there is matter, there is also gravity.

Space is generally a vacuum, a lack of matter. Planets are massive and have a lot of gravity!

When orbiting the Earth, astronauts are in a constant state of falling toward the Earth, because their craft has mass and is being pulled down by the Earth. But because the Earth is round and they are travelling so fast, they will never actually hit the ground.
    They feel like there is no gravity because they're dropping at the same speed as the Earth is pulling.

I think this is why you think there is no effect of gravity in space. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

BULLER wrote: »
    Gravity is one of the 4 forces of nature.

Its postulated to be caused by subatomic particles called gravitons, inside atoms. Atoms make up matter; physical objects like planets and everything including you!

Therefore, where there is matter, there is also gravity.
    Space is generally a vacuum, a lack of matter. Planets are massive and have a lot of gravity!

Thank you, I had been thinking about this for a while and that clears it up nicely :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement