Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar revolutions and all that bollocks.

Options
  • 17-11-2012 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

What's up with celebrating solar revolutions?

Okay, it's a bit of a big deal when you're born but why is one revolution of the sun forever after a thing to be celebrated? Who came up with that shit?

You could ague that two people getting married is a big deal (I don't think it is but wateva) but celebrating it forever more after one exact revolution of the sun? What's up with that?

New years day. The biggest load of shite ever. Just what the hell is being celebrated but a celestial irrelevance?

Why do we celebrate arbitrary shit like birthdays and anniversaries? What exactly is the achievement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Considering that on average you're about to see only 70 - 80 solar revolutions in your lifetime ya might as well celebrate a view of them ...they're rare enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Life is miserable enough without removing birthdays from it. Lighten up OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well, when the average man's ability to survive relied on seasonal cycles it was pretty damn important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

peasant wrote: »
    you're about to see only 70 - 80 solar revolutions in your lifetime ya might as well celebrate a view of them...

Yay! We've gone around the sun one more time since you were born!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Did somebody forget your solar revolution Chuck?

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

endacl wrote: »

;-)

And turn down his proposal :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well, when the average man's ability to survive relied on seasonal cycles it was pretty damn important.

They didn't even have days of the week back then though did they? I mean, they knew what day was the longest and shortest but that was about it.

;-)

Nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Calling it a revolution of the sun makes it sound even cooler. I wanna celebrate that sh!t!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Surely traveling a billion kilometers around the sun at a speed of 108,000 km/h and not getting squashed by an asteroid along the way is something to be celebrated!

They didn't even have days of the week back then though did they? I mean, they knew what day was the longest and shortest but that was about it.

Nope.
    I know. And the sun revolves every 25-30 days, depending on solar latitude. Did you mean orbit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Viva la revolucion

Surely traveling a billion kilometers around the sun at a speed of 108,000 km/h and not getting squashed by an asteroid along the way is something to be celebrated!

Shirley?

Pigs and flies and amoebas achieve that too.

Contrary to your thoughts on it, birthdays just got better for me.. Actually travelled around the sun 25 times. How fuking epic is that.

I know. And the sun revolves every 25-30 days, depending on solar latitude. Did you mean orbit?

Yes. One revolution of the Earth around the Sun is the orbit isn't it?

Contrary to your thoughts on it, birthdays just got better for me.. Actually travelled around the sun 25 times. How fuking epic is that.
    That something like 300 solar revolutions!

Yes. One revolution of the Earth around the Sun is the orbit isn't it?
    Don't mind me. I'm bored and nitpicky.

Happy revolution.

That something like 300 solar revolutions!

Revolutions/Orbits/Whatever.. I'm a hero!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

We're all travelling at about 67,000mph at the moment.

wwwooooOOOOAAAHHHHHH!!

Rhyme wrote: »

ww[SIZE="3"]woo[/SIZE][SIZE="4"]ooOOOOAA[/SIZE][SIZE="5"]AHHHHHH!![/SIZE]
    Turn around. You can do it in reverse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Rhyme wrote: »

ww[SIZE="3"]woo[/SIZE][SIZE="4"]ooOOOOAA[/SIZE][SIZE="5"]AHHHHHH!![/SIZE]

Well no we aren't really as the Milky Way is also moving as is the cluster and super cluster of galaxies within which we reside.

• Advertisement

Well no we aren't really as the Milky Way is also moving as is the cluster and super cluster of galaxies within which we reside.
    I'm sitting here perfectly still. The universe is moving in apparent chaos relative to me. I am the centre of all things. I want a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What's up with celebrating solar revolutions?

Okay, it's a bit of a big deal when you're born but why is one revolution of the sun forever after a thing to be celebrated? Who came up with that shit?

You could ague that two people getting married is a big deal (I don't think it is but wateva) but celebrating it forever more after one exact revolution of the sun? What's up with that?

New years day. The biggest load of shite ever. Just what the hell is being celebrated but a celestial irrelevance?

Why do we celebrate arbitrary shit like birthdays and anniversaries? What exactly is the achievement?

You must be a riot at parties Chuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Permission to don pedantic hat?

Thank you.

A solar revolution happens once every 25 days.

*takes off pedantic hat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've never heard of people celebrating solar revolution. What the hell is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Shirley?

Pigs and flies and amoebas achieve that too.

Amoebas are dry feckers and pigs have better things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Amoebas are dry feckers and pigs have better things to be worrying about.

How dare you. I'm getting a pet amoeba for my next solar revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the neutrinos are mutating revolting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

what a crap parent you'd make.op,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Surviving another orbit of the sun. \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's more the significance lent to certain multiples because we adapted a decimal counting system that concerns me.

Advertisement