Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to no everything about being a tattoo artist?

• 17-11-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I want to no things like:
    > If i was to tattoo at home do i need a liscence
    > How do i get a liscence if i need one
    > do i need any qualifications
    > etc... i think u no the info i'm trying to find
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I want to no things like:
    > If i was to tattoo at home do i need a liscence
    > How do i get a liscence if i need one
    > do i need any qualifications
    > etc... i think u no the info i'm trying to find

To answer your question no, no and no. But you really should need all of the above it should be and needs to be regualted.

But for the love of god dont do any of the above, if you are serious about becoming a tattoo artist like anything else do it the right way, get yourself an apprenticship with a reputable studio and learn how to do things the right way. Not out of your house doing terrible tattoos on people who dont know any better than to let you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

First & possibly one of the most important things is to know how to spell. You can't go back later & edit skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Go to art school or practice a load before you even go for an apprenticeship, we already have enough crap artists in Ireland, you need to really try and stand out. Draw draw draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You can buy a machine and ink online and just start blasting away. Don't.

And seriously Phelim, spelling. Look up tattoo spelling fail online. If you can't immediately see what's funny, don't go near anybody who wants lettering done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Of course good spelling is important but I don't think there's a need to have a go at the OP here- I would blame the person requesting the tattoo for incorrect spelling, rather than the artist. Surely if you want script tattooed it's your responsibility to ensure you have the correct spelling, it's not up to the tattoo artist to quality check.

• Advertisement

Of course good spelling is important but I don't think there's a need to have a go at the OP here- I would blame the person requesting the tattoo for incorrect spelling, rather than the artist. Surely if you want script tattooed it's your responsibility to ensure you have the correct spelling, it's not up to the tattoo artist to quality check.
    The artist has the final responsibility. It his work. He's the professional. He's the one who will be blamed, no matter who was at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

endacl wrote: »
    The artist has the final responsibility. It his work. He's the professional. He's the one who will be blamed, no matter who was at fault.

The studio I went to last have you sign a waiver that you are happy with the spelling, grammar etc if getting a script tattoo. Yes, the artist should take pride in their work etc etc but ultimately it's your skin so you better be sure of what you're getting and not give full responsibility to the artist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im fairly confident that nothing the OP is told will change his mind, he is going to get a shít machine online and work on his friends in his "sterile" kitchen.

The studio I went to last have you sign a waiver that you are happy with the spelling, grammar etc if getting a script tattoo. Yes, the artist should take pride in their work etc etc but ultimately it's your skin so you better be sure of what you're getting and not give full responsibility to the artist.
    All that's quite true, but when the muppet who couldn't spell starts getting slagged by his mates about his daft tattoo, who's he going to start badmouthing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Threads like this should lead to a ban as its someone wanting to scratch

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »
    Threads like this should lead to a ban as its someone wanting to scratch
    Bit harsh maybe? I get the impression the OP might not even be aware of the term? A little explanation might go a long way...

Phelim, I'd suggest popping into a few shops, talking to a few artists, and finding out how they got started. Like many creative fields, you won't see a college course, and there won't be trainee positions advertised. Get to know the people already doing the work. Follow their advice. I believe there's a convention coming up soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

endacl wrote: »
    Get to know the people already doing the work. Follow their advice.

Exactly. Friend of mine has had great help with her portfolio from an artist who already has an apprentice but likes her work. He's given her tracing exercises and everything. i think you should talk to some artists, get a good portfolio of your artwork together and then start looking for an apprenticeship. There are a few decent self taught artists around but there's a hell of a lot more scratchers.

Edit: The self taught artist I refer work in STUDIOS not out of their bedrooms.

Advertisement