Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History on Planning Permissions

Options
  • 17-11-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi folks, I was wondering if any of you have knowledge on planning permissions that were granted in the 1970's and 1980's as regards the length of time before the permission expired. I have heard that in some cases outline permission back then lasted for 10 years for a domestic dwelling and prior to that it was open ended, it this true? was there any laws passed to regularise open-ended permissions for houses that were not built? I'm familiar with the planning system from 1997 onwards. Where can I find this info?

I also wish to find out about a planning permission that was granted in 1988, does this permission expire after 5 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The original 1963 Act is here and I have never heard of a "timeless" permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

muffler wrote: »
    I have never heard of a "timeless" permission.
    Me neither, but, I think it's safe to say that different LA's treated them differently in times past.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I had a look at this recently for a client - but was hard to get information on. In the end the problem went away so I didn't have to go too deep into it.

In the 1963 Planning Act there was actually no expiration date for a grant of permission - in effect you had an indefinite time to start and complete the development.

This was changed by S.29 of the Local Government (Planning and Development) Act 1976 which was supposed to limit permissions to 5 years from the date of the enactment of the section, but it left so many loopholes that another act had to be introduced in 1982 (Local Government (Planning and Development) Act 1982) which said that any permission granted prior to November 1976 was to expire on the 31 October 1983, and any granted since that date were to expire 7 years from the grant or 31 October 1987, whichever came first.

Hope looking up those acts will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CelicaGT

That's great lads, thanks for your help. It's a good start to get and will help me begin my research on the subject.

Advertisement