Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallbladder surgery & infected surgical wound... ewww...

Options
  • 16-11-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had my gallbladder out a month ago, it was full of stones. They let me out of the hospital the same night (which I was a bit surprised about tbh) within a couple od days the excrutiating pain started. I couldn't stand, or walk and i was dozing all the time.

I eventually got to my gp who examined my wound and put me on a course of anti-biotics. (when I left the hospital I was only givn a course of pain killers no anti-biotics, is that the norm?)

2 days on the anti-biotics and I got progressively worse, my hubby managed to lift me from the bed and onto the loo (I know, at this stage I should have heard alarm bells). The pain at this stage had spread all over my abdomin, down the top of my legs and my arms were feeling very heavy. Well on that particular evening I manae to stand u from the loo all by myself, as I didnt fancy an audience during the 'clean up' stage! Well, when I stood up, my abdomin literally emptied out through my wound, down my legs, and pooled around my feet. Think...custard.... (i know, disgusting) and had a smell that hinted towards onions.

Now, i still had the stitches in, I though to myself, these need to come out, to promote healing. so the following day I headed bck to the doctor to have them taken out. I was in the waitin room when I could feel the 'warm sensation' around my tummy. I couldn't have a look as there ere other people there, but didn't have the energy to stand up and go to the loo. The docor called me, into the room, took off my coat and my clothes were literally stuck to my tummy. He cleaned me up. dressed the wound, and strengthened by antiobiotics. It was all going well... it all dried up.

i finished them last week. well for the last couple of days I think I'm back to stage 1! The site of the wound is hot and red, the abdominal pain is back (but not exrutiating) I can't cough with out 'holding' myself, and if there is pus in there it can't leak out! where's it gonna go?

I don't particularly want to go back to hospital for a drain, as hubby can't take any more time off work (for the kids) but i can't live like this either. I have never (0ver the past month) been ablt to lay on my right or left side, the pain is too much.

Has any one experienced this after key hole surgery?
    any suggetions?
    should the doc have sent me back into hopital at the !st sign of infection?
    Maybe another does off antibiotics might knock it on the head?

I was on 500mg Flucillin 4xtimes a day
    and 666mg Calvepen 3xtimes a day
    and 50mg Difene 2xtimes a day
    and 100mg tramol 3xtimes a day

I'm scared to hear what people think, but i need an honest and non biast opinion! and Thanks :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Have you been back to see the surgeon who operated or only your GP?

I think you probably need to be admitted back into hospital and maybe go on intravenous antibiotics rather than oral ones!!!

The problem is that hospitals are full of infections so thats probably why you didnt get sent back in, but at this stage you need more intervention than just a GP imo.

I cant believe you havent gone back to the hospital yourself and shot pus at them to get them moving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Have you been back to see the surgeon who operated or only your GP?

I think you probably need to be admitted back into hospital and maybe go on intravenous antibiotics rather than oral ones!!!

The problem is that hospitals are full of infections so thats probably why you didnt get sent back in, but at this stage you need more intervention than just a GP imo.

I cant believe you havent gone back to the hospital yourself and shot pus at them to get them moving!!

No, it's only been a month since yesterday so i got the usual 'if you don't hear from us in a month, then contact the hospital yourself' which i will have to do tomorrow.

something else i also noticed, right under my right boob, where the gallbladder used to live, is now a hard muscular..... harness! i'm walking around like an 'auld wan! and when the pain gets bad I can feel this 'hard muscle' tightening even more. Oh Gawd, i'll ring the hospital tomorow. i was hoping to avoid another stay in there. hubby will have a hissy fit if he takes more time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Op, I'm closing this thread now as its bordering too much on medical advice. You need to attend a&e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement