Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News On The Hour

Options
  • 16-11-2012 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

I've really noticed this lately when I am doing a lot of driving. I hear the news at say, 12PM and that's the news for the day, it won't (generally speaking ) change for the day, then at 1 I hear the same news. I get back in the car at 8 and I hear the same news again, and I hear it at 9 and so forth.

So in my efforts to dodge the news I swtich stations and what is on? Of course, the news. Everyone is doing the news on the hour. Why can't they stagger it and give themselves something unique? It is especially noticeable now in Dublin where there are so many stations. I switched the dial between about 20 stations on the hour yesterday and all were broadcasting the news.

And given that some stations use syndicated third party news services I got the same news on Midlands 103 as I did on Q102. Come on people! Can't some station do something really mad and out there like news at a quarter past the hour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

I've really noticed this lately when I am doing a lot of driving. I hear the news at say, 12PM and that's the news for the day, it won't (generally speaking ) change for the day, then at 1 I hear the same news. I get back in the car at 8 and I hear the same news again, and I hear it at 9 and so forth.

So in my efforts to dodge the news I swtich stations and what is on? Of course, the news. Everyone is doing the news on the hour. Why can't they stagger it and give themselves something unique? It is especially noticeable now in Dublin where there are so many stations. I switched the dial between about 20 stations on the hour yesterday and all were broadcasting the news.

And given that some stations use syndicated third party news services I got the same news on Midlands 103 as I did on Q102. Come on people! Can't some station do something really mad and out there like news at a quarter past the hour?

SPIN 1038 & SPIN South West both broadcast news at quarter to the hour and Beat 102 103 and iRadio do theirs at ten to the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

SPIN 1038 & SPIN South West both broadcast news at quarter to the hour and Beat 102 103 and iRadio do theirs at ten to the hour.

And not forgetting fm104 who broadcast news 'on the hour' at 4 minutes to the hour :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've always assumed that it's an unwritten agreement between the major stations.

"Listen, we all have to do a news bulletin, so let's all do it at the same time so that people don't change station to avoid the news."

But that's just something I got into my head when I was younger and it kinda stuck.

Red FM are another station that do news at ten to the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

heybaby wrote: »
    And not forgetting fm104 who broadcast news 'on the hour' at 4 minutes to the hour :D

98FM are very good at this aswell - you can see the clock on the webcams just passing xx:58 when they go to news. However when they use 3rd party news after 7pm they have to hit it bang on with their clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Who does the Irish syndicated news? - I know there was an Irish version of IRN but it shut down four years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

gavindowd wrote: »
    Who does the Irish syndicated news? - I know there was an Irish version of IRN but it shut down four years ago.

I think Newstalk took that over a couple of years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Couldn't agree more. I posted about it on this forum a while ago here. Why can't they vary the News times to 15 minutes past, 30 minutes past, 15 minutes to so we have choice?

In particular the most boring thing in the world, sport, being on at precisely the same time on all channels is inexcusable in terms of choice on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

gavindowd wrote: »

I think there is a Comunicorp one and a UTV one.

Stations owned by Comunicorp- Newstalk, Today FM, 98fm, Clare Fm etc.. they use one news service

UTV stations - Live95fm, fm104, q102, 96fm etc use another service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I posted about it on this forum a while ago here. Why can't they vary the News times to 15 minutes past, 30 minutes past, 15 minutes to so we have choice?

In particular the most boring thing in the world, sport, being on at precisely the same time on all channels is inexcusable in terms of choice on Irish radio.

Think about it, most people don't care about the news, so if you start moving it around on different stations then people are going to start channel hopping, so if one station has it at a quarter past 1 and the other station does it on the hour at say 2 then the first station could lose a bunch of listeners for up to 45 minutes. Also RTE are not going to move their news from the hour so if people do want to listen to it they know where to go.

Advertisement