Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous has launched a series of cyber attacks against websites in Israel.

Options
  • 16-11-2012 6:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20356757
    Anonymous said it had launched the OpIsrael campaign following threats by the Israeli government to cut all Gaza's telecommunication links. This, said the group in a statement posted to the AnonRelations website, "crossed a line in the sand".

The group warned the Israeli government not to cut off telecom and web links and urged it to end military operations in Gaza. If the attacks did not end, Israel would feel the group's "full and unbridled wrath".

Anonymous also produced a package of information for people in Gaza detailing alternative ways for them to communicate if net and other telecommunication links were cut.

*gets popcorn*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

any chance they could disarm Hamas from a laptop?

(there you go Capt'n!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if they left out the threats and politics and just limited their actions to providing information (like the alternative ways to communicate etc) then I, personally, would feel better about tending to agree with their point of view. The problem for me is working out whether they would do the same if the roles were reversed. Are they protecting the average persons access to information or are they taking a political stance against Isreal's actions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LoLth wrote: »
    if they left out the threats and politics and just limited their actions to providing information (like the alternative ways to communicate etc) then I, personally, would feel better about tending to agree with their point of view. The problem for me is working out whether they would do the same if the roles were reversed. Are they protecting the average persons access to information or are they taking a political stance against Isreal's actions?
    The alternative ways of communication are laughable.

it's like "hey you can make homebrew radios if you look up teh interwebs" and pointing at the amateur band, so morse or speech and that's if the atmospherics are benevolent and no other stations are keying up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

:O

I thought it was more like the "internet in a briefcase" the American military were reported to be sending to the Egyptian citizens during their recent regime change when Facebook and twitter (other social media as well?) were blocked.

out of curiosity, why have Anonymous not tried taking on the Great Firewall of China that stops users accessing information the government considers against its interests? or Australia's web filtering facilities? Sort of makes be doubt the claim of standing up for freedom of information for the masses that was put out when they defended wikileaks (or rather punished those that spoke out against/didnt help wikileaks).

Advertisement