Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1986 Mercedes W124 250D Stolen From Tallaght

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine had his 1986 W124 stolen from Tallaght on Tuesday 13th November at 1:30 pm.

It was taken by a yellow Ford Transit recovery truck.

Pictures of the car and truck below.

If anyone has any info that may be of assistance can they contact me by PM or on 0868548629 please.

Thanks,

George

5474BI.png

5474BI001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Put a link up on octane.ie
    Theres quite a w124 fan base on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The truck should be easily recognisable, good luck with the hunt. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Stick it up in Classics here too George. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Thanks guys, forgot to mention that it was taken from South City Business Park ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Will keep my eye out up here. Tis an old Monaghan reg, yes?

Do they know how was it taken ie broken into and towed up or just towed up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Will keep an eye out!

But I have to ask the obvious here...why would anyone go through the hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Will keep an eye out!

But I have to ask the obvious here...why would anyone go through the hassle?

Easy scrap money I'm guessing is the reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

ive seen that truck around a good bit , see it on the grangecastle road a few times a week , id say that car has been scraped, id say you,l find that truck in either of the halting sites on the nangor rd , i may be wrong be it sure looks like the one ive seen not many canary yellow transit ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Good shot of the recovery truck, can't be too many of them in the country I would say.

Should also say, maybe broadsheet.ie would pick up the story?
    They had a popular story the other week for a stolen bicycle story which was caught on camera.

Also, the owner could walk the route around the road into the business park and see if there are any other cameras that might have caught a sighting or a licence plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

dgt wrote: »
    Easy scrap money I'm guessing is the reason :(

Definitely the reason, had the exact same thing happen to me with my last car.

The cops and the council proved to be as useful as a glass hammer, council were too lazy to look through a few hours of cctv footage and even if they did the cops said they couldn't do anything with the reg of the recovery truck as it didn't show who stole the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

For scrap reason, or for spares.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Definitely the reason, had the exact same thing happen to me with my last car.

The cops and the council proved to be as useful as a glass hammer, council were too lazy to look through a few hours of cctv footage and even if they did the cops said they couldn't do anything with the reg of the recovery truck as it didn't show who stole the car.

Tell them the tax was out on the van they might go to the ****in bother then. Useless bunch of bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

They should stop you scrapping cars unless you have the log book / registration cert.

This would stop this sort of thing overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

They really are useless, the police.
    My car was nicked a while back, I found out it was in an illegal breakers yard. Told the police and they checked it out...3 days later.
    They came back to me and said it wasn't there.
    Ended up having to do something about it myself.

My car was nicked a while back, I found out it was in an illegal breakers yard. Told the police and they checked it out...3 days later.

Thats how its going to go, if they aren't getting the job done then people are going to come up with alternative options.

also, might be worth pm'ing address of that breakers to the OP if its in Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Thats how its going to go, if they aren't getting the job done then people are going to come up with alternative options.

Dublin in the 80's and early 90's had the CPAD (Concerned Parents Against Drugs), maybe now we need the CPAP (Concerned Petrolheads against Pikeys)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Dublin in the 80's and early 90's had the CPAD (Concerned Parents Against Drugs), maybe now we need the CPAP (Concerned Petrolheads against Pikeys)

Perhaps, then Cyclists would want their own group as well.

I don't know if these thefts are classed as minor crime or petty crime or whatever, but the volume of them is certainly major and its emboldening those who do it. Also once they get hooked on the income they are not going to go back to what they had, bike thieves for example are raking it in now and will always try to keep that income level from theft and other crimes once they are used to it. If it had been stamped out hard then we would not be in situations like these. Look at metal thefts in the UK, it started out with lead flashing but now people are stealing absolutely everything from manhole covers to bronze statues. Metal theft could be as bad here, I haven't heard much about it. (potential scrappage of this car was first I heard of similar activities here)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Update:

Following a tip off from a Boards member (thanks Mark) the shell of the car was found in Naas this morning. Unfortunately it was completely stripped down so the car is pretty much a dead loss :(

Thanks again to everyone who kept an eye out.

George

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Update:

Following a tip off from a Boards member (thanks Mark) the shell of the car was found in Naas this morning. Unfortunately it was completely stripped down so the car is pretty much a dead loss :(

George
    That sucks, sorry to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fvckers! :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Update:

George

That sucks, really sorry to hear that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

any idea of who the culprits might of been e.g was it found near a halting site or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi
    sorry to hear that, what a shower of fvck3rs are out and about at the moment.

maybe keep an eye out on donedeal/adverts for the parts been sold ?

regards
    Update:

George

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Sorry to hear that! :mad:

Now just keep hunting for that yellow recovery truck and when you eventually find strip it down to the chassis. At least some revange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Where abouts in Naas can I ask as I live near to Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If you put an ad up on done deal looking for a replacement engine for your car which has snapped a timing belt or what ever.

See what happens.

Someone might try to sell you back your engine. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Savage pic of the recovery truck in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Somebody doing a diesel conversion that didn't want the bother of ECU s ?
    Post up the engine number George for future reference it might turn up, in a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

here lads just seen that recovery truck heading into naas with another old eclass onbaord looked navy blueish so if anyone is missing one i suggest you ask george where his was found,,

Advertisement