Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Towns Still Waiting to be bypassed 2012

• 16-11-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Still a good few when you add them all up, and a hell of a lot of them in Munster;

Enniscorthy (N11/N30)
    New Ross (N25)
    Dungarvan (N25), well a proper bypass, Clonmel N24 is similar
    Castlemartyr (N25)

Carrick on Suir (N24)
    Tipp Town (N24/74)

Adare (N21)
    Newcastlewest (N21)
    Abbeyfeale (N21)

Macroom (N22)

Charleville (N20)

Claregalway (N17)
    Tuam (N17)

Carrick On Shannon (N4), proper one

Lots of ones on national secondaries that are badly needed too;
    Athy (N78)
    Mountmellick (N80)

There must be more then further up the west, on the N5 to Mayo I know there are schemes planned, feel free to add.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Roscommon can be a bitsch sometimes.

Ballina
    Portarlington

Dont know how you missed Galway and Sligo. Dual Carriageway with traffic lights through town doesnt count as a bypass

Dublin itself could do with that Eastern bypass tunnel idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

mfitzy wrote: »
    Claregalway (N17)
    Tuam (N17)

Add Galway (N6) & Clarinbridge (N18)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

- Innishannon
    - Bandon
    - Killeagh
    - Fermoy relief road

That's just what hasn't been mentioned in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

- Innishannon
    - Bandon
    - Killeagh
    - Fermoy relief road

That's just what hasn't been mentioned in Cork

Fermoy has a bypass - tolled but still a bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How did i forget Birr, Thurles, Templemore on the N62!
    Virginia on the N3 is another bad enough one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ballybofey (N13/N15)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭SeanW

*Throws the cat among the pigeons*

Slane (N2, N51)

*Hides*

• With a potential drop in vehicle numbers of about 20%* over the next five years or so, I doubt that many of the minor towns will ever see those bypasses.

*based on the decline of new car sales since 2007 and the "millennium" cars ageing out and not being replaced.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Killarney (N22), Listowel (N69) and Killarglin (N70) in Kerry, all at various stages of planning (albeit Killarney's is currently suspended).

dolanbaker wrote: »
    With a potential drop in vehicle numbers of about 20%* over the next five years or so, I doubt that many of the minor towns will ever see those bypasses.

*based on the decline of new car sales since 2007 and the "millennium" cars ageing out and not being replaced.

But that's not the same as car ownership and usage. I do not know any figures but I'd be very surprised if ownership (ratio of cars to people) has dropped very much in these years.
    People are keeping cars longer and servicing older ones rather than the scrappage that used go on in the so-called boom years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Oola, tip town, gort, cork city north, mallow, buttevant, cobh Newlands cross (not really a town but it's the same idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

antoobrien wrote: »
    Fermoy has a bypass - tolled but still a bypass.

It has a bypass for the M8. But it is inaccesible and doesn't cater for any traffic on the N72.

When doing the bypass, there should have been two slip roads built outside of Supervalu on the N72. On going from N7 to M8 Southbound and one from M8 Northbound to N72.

In addition, a small relief road should have been made from N72 on the Mallow side of Fermoy to junction 14 on the M8.

All of this still doesn't cater for an N72 bypass of Fermoy though.

• mfitzy wrote: »
    But that's not the same as car ownership and usage. I do not know any figures but I'd be very surprised if ownership (ratio of cars to people) has dropped very much in these years.
    People are keeping cars longer and servicing older ones rather than the scrappage that used go on in the so-called boom years.
    The point I’m making is that in the not too distant future a lot of these cars will fail their NCT and be uneconomic to repair and scrapped. Unless sales of new cars pick up soon, the number of vehicles will drop, plus the fact that fewer people are able to do those long distant commutes.

With this in mind, I don't expect to see more than a handful of new bypasses built, if any in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭jd

mfitzy wrote: »
    Lots of ones on national secondaries that are badly needed too;
    Athy (N78)
    Mountmellick (N80)
    Bunclody on the N80

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Killaloe/Ballina in Cos Clare/Tipp are still waiting for a badly needed new bridge and bypass.

Castlemartyr in Cork

Castlebaldwin in Sligo

Strokestown in Roscommon

Blessington in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Oola, tip town, gort, cork city north, mallow, buttevant, cobh Newlands cross (not really a town but it's the same idea)
    Cobh isn't between anywhere, it's at the end of the road
    Gort is bypassed

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Gort is bypassed

I know we have a bypass in Newbridge but we are badly in need of our Outer Relief Road. Traffic is easily at pre bypass levels. Athy is a definite town in need of a bypass. Blessington is also possibly in need of a bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Danno wrote: »

That's the wrong side of the town surely? It doesn't bypass it on the N77, it links the N77 to the R639 south.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The R639 (former N8) is a good quality road, whilst the N77 that goes southeast through the town is very very narrow... http://goo.gl/maps/mf4Ik ...bypassing this bottle-neck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ballinrobe. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

JupiterKid wrote: »

Castlebaldwin in Sligo

neither of these need to be bypassed.

Castlebaldwin is barely a village, never mind a town.
    and it's a straight road, never should be put on the list.

Kilrush, Co Clare could benefit from one, though.

Roscommon Town too. On Match days its impossible up there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RossieMan wrote: »
    neither of these need to be bypassed.

Castlebaldwin is barely a village, never mind a town.
    and it's a straight road, never should be put on the list.

Kilrush, Co Clare could benefit from one, though.

Roscommon Town too. On Match days its impossible up there.

Have you seen the state of the N4 between Castlebaldwin and Collooney? :rolleyes:

Castlebaldwin may not be a metropolis but it could do with a bypass as part of a badly needed upgrade to the worst remaining section of the N4 route.

IMO the most urgently needed bypasses are - Adare, Slane, Claregalway, Tuam, Virginia, New Ross, Macroom, Tipp Town and Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Have you seen the state of the N4 between Castlebaldwin and Collooney? :rolleyes:

Castlebaldwin may not be a metropolis but it could do with a bypass as part of a badly needed upgrade to the worst remaining section of the N4 route.

IMO the most urgently needed bypasses are - Adare, Slane, Claregalway, Tuam, Virginia, New Ross, Macroom, Tipp Town and Enniscorthy.

New Ross and Enniscorthy are shovel ready, archaeology completed there in 2010/11. Same applies to Claregalway and Tuam (2009/10). Archaeology was also done for a Mitchelstown style relief road of Tuam in 2007 though maybe this plan was shelved when the motorway plans were developed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Gort is bypassed

Cobh could do with a northern relief road.

I agree, these are absolute musts and all on busy National Primary roads. Newcastlewest could do with one but it's in in way as bad as Adare or most of the ones listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

that's not a bypass, that's a motorway you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Adare, Claregalway and Macroom are the three worst traffic nightmares that I have yet seen. Charleville, New Ross and Slane are up there too but maybe not quite as bad as the aforementioned three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ennistymon and kinvara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

In order of the time I get stuck at places: Adare, Athy, Galway, Castlemartyr, Portlaois (N80), Claregalway,Thurles.

Advertisement