Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine knocking like crazy

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

I have a Hotpoint 7kg washing machine (Ultima WT741) that is making a huge knocking noise when at full spin and with a load.

I pulled her out and took the lid off to check for anything obvious, but nothing appeared apparent.

I then ran her for a spin with no load and there was no knocking noise.

I initially thought it was drum bearings but she spins freely by hand and if I hold the outer plastic section of the drum and the inner drum, there is no play between them.

On closer inspection it appears I have a huge amount of play on the drum from back to front, so much so that I can push the drum forward from inside the drum and the plastic outer casing of the drum will hit the back panel of the washing machine. I suspect this is what is making the noise when it is spinning with a load in it.

There are 2 springs either side of the drum on top that are intact and the balancing weight on top of the drum is also OK.

My gut feeling is the bearings are not the issue and that some sort of support shock/strut/anchor has come loose/broken that I can’t see from the top down.

Would anyone have any experience here or opinion as to what it might be that is causing this knocking noise for me.

Many thanks,

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Def a spring or strut.

Drum hangs from springs with struts to damp the vibration.

Top spring probably broke or tore thru the metal.

Overloaded machine .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

cgarrad wrote: »
    Def a spring or strut.

Drum hangs from springs with struts to damp the vibration.

Top spring probably broke or tore thru the metal.

Overloaded machine .....

Thats what Im thinking. Both top springs are fine and located OK as I can see them.

Are the struts underneath?

Tks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Got it sorted. Under the drum at the front of the washing machine there is another balance weight held on with 3 bolts. All 3 bolts were loose. Tightened these up and ran 2 full washes without a peep out of her.

Still has severe movement from back to front, so I'm wondering did the loose weight cause a bit of lateral wear on the strut ends or is this model supposed to have so much movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 erictogher

Got it sorted. Under the drum at the front of the washing machine there is another balance weight held on with 3 bolts. All 3 bolts were loose. Tightened these up and ran 2 full washes without a peep out of her.

Still has severe movement from back to front, so I'm wondering did the loose weight cause a bit of lateral wear on the strut ends or is this model supposed to have so much movement.
    The lateral movement you are referring to is normal. The springs allow this movement. More than likely your struts are okay.

Advertisement