Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know nothing!

Options
  • 16-11-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Just a few questions from an average 20 cigs / day man

How long do the starter kits last before you have to start buying bits & bobs?

What strength liquid would you advise for a 20 / day smoker?

When you are vaping / e-smoking do you just do it until satisfied & then put it away until required again?

What do you find is the average cost per week for vaping / e-smoking?

Vaping / e-smoking in public places, how's that working out for you, any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

30ml liquid should last about ten days. Atty heads have to be bought once a week/fortnight, or just get a few at a time. (Presuming you're talking about the starter set we tend to recommend most often)
    18mg would be my recommendation.
    When you are vaping / e-smoking do you just do it until satisfied & then put it away until required again?
    Yup. A couple of tokes every 10-15minutes, or if you need to be away from it, use it like a cig and be content for a few hours.
    €10-15. Can go lower or higher depending on your usage or how in-depth you get.
    Vaping / e-smoking in public places, how's that working out for you, any problems?
    Only with larger mods/batteries - festivals and airport staff can be suspicious. The ones in starter sets aren't a bother, you'll just have to get used to "What's THAT?" a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

It all depends on the kit to be honest. Most batteries and chargers will last months but be prepared to spend regularly on liquid and atomisers/cartomisers/clearomisers (whatever the top connection you buy is)
    Would suggest starting high 18-20mg but get a bottle of medium strength (11/12mg) to see what suits you best
    Yeah I find I use it more regularly than I would have smoked but after 5 or 6 puffs I'm done.
    I spend 30-40 a month but could do it for a lot less. Just like trying new things and building up a stock. Spent more than that at first getting kits and batteries but have still saved loads.
    I use it everywhere and never had a problem. Pubs, buses, work etc but wouldn't be billowing vapour everywhere. If you hold it in your mouth for a few seconds there's very little on the exhale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for the replies,

@ grindle, sorry but tokes = ?, atty heads = ?

Which starter set do ye tend to recommend most often?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Hello and welcome.

There's a few threads around these parts with lots of general advice, but to answer your questions from my experience:

Starter kits can last you anything between 2 weeks and a month before you will need to buy a replacement clearomiser/cartomiser, (basically the wire coil in it is gone and/or the wick is all gunked up), they can be cleaned though, hot water usually does the trick, or a soak in vodka.

Depends on your brand I guess, a silk cut blue/ultra smoker at 20 a day won't need as much nicotine to feel as satisfied as a john player blue 20 a day smoker. I went from SC Purple onto 12mg juices. Have found I like some 18mg juices better for throat hit, but in terms of just 'having enough nicotine' 9-12mg is fine for me.

Pretty much have the thing close to me all day, pick it up when I want and put it down again. At the start I found I was spending about the same amount of time as smoking with it.

Up front is the main cost, and then the cost of buying and trying juices until you find one you like. You won't find a juice to match your brand of smoke exactly, just have to find one you're into.

After you have the gear you are happy with and a juice you like, it's only the cost of the replacement head for your clearo, (lets assume one a week at €2) and the cost of your juice for the week, being generous, if you average 5ml a day, 35 ml a week at around €10 or so, so lets say it costs €12 a week to vape. it can be cheaper again for running costs to you learn to to make coils and wicks yourself and maybe even make your own juices in bulk.

No problems here... although I do tend to ninja vape and keep it as discreet as I can :P

In fact, the only 'problem' I have recently is curious people asking me about it, I'm usually happy to demonstrate and take it apart and explain everything, but I was stuck for time the other day on my way somewhere and was a bit dismissive... "You can find out more about it on boards.ie!" Was that you naughtysmurf? :D

This is the kit I recommend all the time:

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm

It's a quality kit that will last you and comes with a sample set of flavours. Just pick the flavours and strength you want from the wingnuts range (in the menu on the left).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

How long do the starter kits last before you have to start buying bits & bobs? In my limited experience, about a month.

What strength liquid would you advise for a 20 / day smoker? 18mg or 20mg

When you are vaping / e-smoking do you just do it until satisfied & then put it away until required again? Pretty much, although I can be at home, and chain vape while watching tv.

What do you find is the average cost per week for vaping / e-smoking? For liquids, about €10.

Vaping / e-smoking in public places, how's that working out for you, any problems?No issues yet,but I havent used it a lot outside of work

The kit that Sept09baby linked is ideal. Try pick a few diff flavours in liquids, but def pick 2 or 3 tobacco flavour. Try Swedish Fish also!

And good luck with it, coming up on 2 months off smokes, according to an app I have I've saved €677 euro, my total spending on liquids and hardware is roughly €200 euro.

Thanks for the replies,

@ grindle, sorry but tokes = ?, atty heads = ?

Which starter set do ye tend to recommend most often?
    Tokes---> Drags---> Puffs ---> Pulls

Atty heads are little coil/wick set-ups that you can just screw out of the clearomiser (liquid-holding and vaporising device) that comes in the kit sept09baby showed you.
    The heads tend to gunk up after a while (anywhere from a week to a month depending on use and juices used) they need to be replaced. Cost €2 or €3.
    That kit is really the best bang for buck for the beginner.

Thanks again for the replies, anyone recommend a liquid similar in taste to Benson & Hedges?

Last question, I will have a good look around the forum after this but how long on average with normal use does a full one last before needing a refill?

Have these visions of me looking like a chemist at work with vials of liquid, parphernalia etc :D

There isn't any juice that tastes exactly like any cigarette, never mind an exact brand, but the closest to the real thing so far (that I've tried) are the House of Liquid 'El Toro' juices.

A full T3 clearomiser (in the kit we recommended) lasts a day to a day and a half on average.
    You might need a top-up if you're off out for the night or something, so maybe pick up some empty dripper bottles from thebestshop.eu.
    The bottles will come in handy as the El Toro juices don't have dripper tips themselves, so once you throw the juice into a bottle, there's less chance of a mess.

You're visions may come true. My dinner table looks like a Chinese sweatshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

grindle wrote: »
    There isn't any juice that tastes exactly like any cigarette, never mind an exact brand, but the closest to the real thing so far (that I've tried) are the House of Liquid 'El Toro' juices.

A full T3 clearomiser (in the kit we recommended) lasts a day to a day and a half on average.
    You might need a top-up if you're off out for the night or something, so maybe pick up some empty dripper bottles from thebestshop.eu.
    The bottles will come in handy as the El Toro juices don't have dripper tips themselves, so once you throw the juice into a bottle, there's less chance of a mess.

You're visions may come true. My dinner table looks like a Chinese sweatshop.

jeepers. i wouldn't really have thought of myself as a chain vaper [then again i'm the only vaper i ever see on a daily basis!] but i'd go through 3 fills of a kanger in a day :eek:

• Advertisement

Really?? I fill it up daily all right but never fill all the way to the top. Would say I go through about 3mls in a normal day in it

yeah i never fill to the top either cause the one time i did it leaked like... well... something that leaks a lot. 6ml a day doesn't seem like a lot though - does it? doesn't feel like a lot.

op if you're going to go for that kit you're more than welcome to a few half bottles of the el toro cigarillos naturales i have. free of course! i just won't use it as my tastes have changed since i got started. i have the 18mg and the 11mg.

you're going to feel such a difference in yerself once you start vaping. i'm only off tobacco nearly 9 weeks i think and already i feel like a different woman. toddled up 5 flights of stairs the other day and i didn't feel like my lungs were going to fall out of my chest after it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

In terms of usage, 6mls a day of 18mg = 108mg nicotine @ 30% absorption = 32mg absorbed.

Depending on how many/nic content per cigarette etc. it's approximately equivalent to 30 cigarettes.

artyeva wrote: »
    jeepers. i wouldn't really have thought of myself as a chain vaper [then again i'm the only vaper i ever see on a daily basis!] but i'd go through 3 fills of a kanger in a day :eek:

Well, I was giving an anecdotal average. Most vapers seem to go through 2-3mls a day.
    I'm hovering around 4-5ml per day at the moment, but I'm using dual-coils and not really chain-vaping.
    Hard to chain-vape high-ish mg juices on dual-coils without turning into a panicked mess.
    Still vaping more than I used to smoke though. It's all too tasty!

When I vape most is when I'm faffing about trying yet another futile attempt at a genesis mesh wick. After getting it working somewhat right I vape like hell to check that its wicking right, flavour is right and so on!

Talk about rubbing my nose in it.

"Blabbedy-blabbedy-blah, I can do a genesis mesh properly, nyah nyah!"

Pfft.

qkfZa.gif

I can't do the flaming things right either. I can just about get them right on the Bulli but really struggle with the Genesis atties.

In terms of usage, 6mls a day of 18mg = 108mg nicotine @ 30% absorption = 32mg absorbed.

Depending on how many/nic content per cigarette etc. it's approximately equivalent to 30 cigarettes.

i vape 11 or 12mg, and to be honest i've not read much on the accuracy of absorption rates myself so i dunno... i'm really dubious about equating any amount of nic absorbed by vaping to X number of cigarettes cause to me it doesn't really work like that. it makes it sound worse than it really is.

like i'm not much of a coffee drinker so i notice when i have even one small milky coffee. if we're supposed to look at nic like caffiene, at those calculations above i'd be hanging off the ceiling and generally feeling like a snowglobe.... and i'm most definitely not. i dunno. i just vape when i want to and don't when i don't. number mean diddly squat in real life - i'm not wheezing or panting or giving myself lung cancer or spending as much money or making my husband sick from the smell of smoke or freezing my ass off outdoors or inhaling burning paper and tar or thinking about tobacco, that's all that matters. the maths can feic off!! :p

Yeah, I know alright. It's all very approximate and completely depends on how you vape, how you used to smoke etc.

Kind of a rough guide for people who worry about vaping big quantities of nicotine was all I was trying to do.

I vape 9mg so it means I can vape a few mls without having to worry so much about how much I'm taking in. If I was vaping mls and mls of 18mg or 24mg though I would be inclined to take it a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

artyeva wrote: »
    number mean diddly squat in real life - i'm not wheezing or panting or giving myself lung cancer or spending as much money or making my husband sick from the smell of smoke or freezing my ass off outdoors or inhaling burning paper and tar or thinking about tobacco, that's all that matters. the maths can feic off!! :p

sing it sister, praise the vape \o/

• Advertisement

Well I followed the advice here and ordered the Kanga T2 starter kit last Sunday evening & it arrived at my workplace at lunch time today.

First impressions are that it seems to be a well built quality product, was surprised at the overall length, a little over 6" when fully assembled,

Filled it up, setting 4 and took a drag, was surprised at the throat hit too

All in all, quite impressed so far. Not taking more than 2 / 3 drags at a time & then leaving it a while, I think that is how I will use it

Will be interesting to see how it replaces the first cig in the morning

Thanks for the advice

don't sweat it if it doesn't at first, i went through awful cravings for that first morning fag when i started vaping. no one will be expecting you to switch instantly from cigarettes to vaping so if you do fall off the wagon don't beat yourself up about it, just reach for yer vape the next time. the el toros cigarillos naturales juice definitely got me over the need to 'taste' tobacco first thing in the morning, i went through a few days of wanting to tear the paint off the walls. that abated quite quickly though. good news for the walls. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well I followed the advice here and ordered the Kanga T2 starter kit last Sunday evening & it arrived at my workplace at lunch time today.

First impressions are that it seems to be a well built quality product, was surprised at the overall length, a little over 6" when fully assembled,

Filled it up, setting 4 and took a drag, was surprised at the throat hit too

All in all, quite impressed so far. Not taking more than 2 / 3 drags at a time & then leaving it a while, I think that is how I will use it

Will be interesting to see how it replaces the first cig in the morning

Thanks for the advice

Heres my thoughts on the real cig cravings:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81692113&postcount=16

Advertisement