Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of old arcade game

Options
  • 16-11-2012 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find an old Arcade game that i was addicted to years ago. It was a top down game a bit like Commando, but the character you controlled was a little japanese samurai.

He threw little shuriken and had a little axe as well. The shuriken could be upgraded by getting power ups from little lanterns dotted along the maps which you activated with the axe.

The game was divided up in levels with a boss at the end of each one. The boss at the end of the first level looked a bit like an octopus and threw fireballs from a pouch in his stomach. The boss at the end of the second level threw lightning at you and floated around surrounded by clouds. Cant really remember much more about it, but i'd love to know its name.

This game was around in the late 80's, early 90's.

If anyone could come up with the name of it, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ninja Commando?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ninja Commando?
    Nope. :D

But along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

Shinobi

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Could you be mixing a couple of games up?

When you said top down, little axe, I immediately thought of Gauntlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Really struggling with this one as well.

Is it vertical or horizontal scrolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

kiki kaikai / pocky and Rocky ?
    Fixeight ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Casey120 wrote: »
    Fixeight ?

I think you might be on to a winner there, looks very like what the OP describes. Second level boss floating about on a cloud too.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Yeh ,looking back at that vid the bosses are exactly like described .
    There's a EU Taito Legends 2 release on the PS2 and Xbox that contains the game , in the Arcade it was known as KiKikai or Pocky and Rocky .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Casey120 wrote: »
    Fixeight ?
    Its Kiki Kaikai. Thanks a million for that. I spent many an evening as a nipper playing that in the local chipper. Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

There was another one that I used to love playing in my local chipper called "Shao Lins Road". not sure the spelling is correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shao-Lin's_Road

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HVEUW-Yg4

Similar thing to what you mentioned in coming up against a boss at the end of the round.

Usd to love it and after 25 years I managed to get on MAME to play on my laptop.

Sorry for jumping on your thread just when I read your post I thought it was the game I used to play back then.

the memories!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement