Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Insignia diesel recall issue

Options
  • 16-11-2012 10:59am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For anyone driving a diesel Insignia, please be aware that there is a recall on the power steering pipe.

We had an issue this week, where the pipe failed. Thankfully it was on a short 5 min drive from the shops. It sounded like a grinding noise, and the steering was very stiff.

We took the car to our local mechanic, who called Opel. They eventually admitted that the part was on recall. No one had ever notified us though. Turns out that Opel had 3 cars in the same week, with the same issue.

On finding the following story, we became a lot more concerned. So, if you have an Opel or Vauxhall Insignia, diesel only, get your car checked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/05/vauxhall_insignia.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Paulw wrote: »
    For anyone driving a diesel Insignia, please be aware that there is a recall on the power steering pipe.

We had an issue this week, where the pipe failed. Thankfully it was on a short 5 min drive from the shops. It sounded like a grinding noise, and the steering was very stiff.

We took the car to our local mechanic, who called Opel. They eventually admitted that the part was on recall. No one had ever notified us though. Turns out that Opel had 3 cars in the same week, with the same issue.

On finding the following story, we became a lot more concerned. So, if you have an Opel or Vauxhall Insignia, diesel only, get your car checked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/05/vauxhall_insignia.html

Not an official recall in Ireland and only effects certain models.

Will be checked if it's in for service with an Opel dealer, or will be replaced when it fails under warranty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

R.O.R wrote: »
    Not an official recall in Ireland and only effects certain models.

Will be checked if it's in for service with an Opel dealer, or will be replaced when it fails under warranty.

We were told that it is an official recall in Ireland, and that we should have received notification. I was told yesterday, when I collected the far, that Opel Ireland are now phoning those with the effected models, to request them to come in to have the part replaced.

So, there is very confusing information out there.

Also, it will only be checked if serviced with an Opel dealer. We had our car serviced with an Opel dealer for the first two years, and each service resulted in 2 further visits back, for them to "remedy" faults, which they caused during the service. Since then, we haven't use the Opel dealer, and use an independent mechanic who does a much better job and charges less.

We were told that it is an official recall in Ireland, and that we should have received notification. I was told yesterday, when I collected the far, that Opel Ireland are now phoning those with the effected models, to request them to come in to have the part replaced.

So, there is very confusing information out there.

Also, it will only be checked if serviced with an Opel dealer. We had our car serviced with an Opel dealer for the first two years, and each service resulted in 2 further visits back, for them to "remedy" faults, which they caused during the service. Since then, we haven't use the Opel dealer, and use an independent mechanic who does a much better job and charges less.

We've a few replaced, but haven't recieved any notifications yet. Possible that dealers are calling drivers rather than Opel Ireland issuing letters.

To anyone who is contacted about this, phone back the dealer who the call is coming from - do not make arrangements to have your car collected by whoever is calling, without confirming they are who they say they are.

We've a few replaced, but haven't recieved any notifications yet. Possible that dealers are calling drivers rather than Opel Ireland issuing letters.

That is my biggest issue - total confusion with the information coming out. I'm not at all disputing what you are saying, but it is not what we were told.

When we first raised the issue we were told that we should have received a letter from Opel Ireland. We were then told we should have had a call from the dealer, then we were told that letters were being sent out this week, and that dealers were following this up with calls.

Now, maybe this was the dealer covering their own ass. Loss of power steering is very dangerous, especially in wet conditions, or when the weather gets very cold.

I was very surprised to see this was a known issue for a while, and yet there is very little said about it.

To anyone who is contacted about this, phone back the dealer who the call is coming from - do not make arrangements to have your car collected by whoever is calling, without confirming they are who they say they are.

Totally agree with you there. Great safety message.

Loss of power steering isn't classed as a major safety issue as you'll still be able to steer, just takes a bit more force than usual. I'd say a lot of folks on here have never driven a car without power steering.

Safety seems to be the difference between a recall and a service bulletin. If it's not deemed to be deadly then it will be dealt with in a service bulletin, and that's an advantage to main dealer servicing.

Insignia will be a right pain in the hole without power steering though due to the massive tyres fitted to most of the range.

Opel may be starting to issue recalls - I was relaying information from our service guys as to what's been done so far. That info might be out of date by now, in which case we'll be recieving a lot of post soon....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Our Insignia was originally a UK car, 2011 registered, and before we signed I got in touch with Vauxhall UK, who were very good to deal with, asking if there were any recalls or if it had been back with them for any issues. They said it was all clear, and I see that article is from May which was a while before we picked ours up.

They do say that it affects cars built between 2009 and 2010, and it's probable that a 2011 registered car was built in 2010. Is there a chasis number range of affected car, or something to narrow the list down further, out there that can be checked ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Loss of power steering isn't classed as a major safety issue as you'll still be able to steer, just takes a bit more force than usual. I'd say a lot of folks on here have never driven a car without power steering.

Safety seems to be the difference between a recall and a service bulletin. If it's not deemed to be deadly then it will be dealt with in a service bulletin, and that's an advantage to main dealer servicing.

Insignia will be a right pain in the hole without power steering though due to the massive tyres fitted to most of the range.

Opel may be starting to issue recalls - I was relaying information from our service guys as to what's been done so far. That info might be out of date by now, in which case we'll be recieving a lot of post soon....

Is the issue not that the ruptured line leaks steering fluid onto the exhaust manifold that can then ignite?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

there is a big difference between driving a car with no PS and driving a car which has failed or faulty PS or PS assisted steering

tin79 wrote: »
    Is the issue not that the ruptured line leaks steering fluid onto the exhaust manifold that can then ignite?

If that is the issue, it would be a major safety issue that warrants a full recall in my opinion, and I've seen similar recalls issued (Laguna had one about 2 weeks after one we looked after put itself out of it's misery).

I wouldn't think the issue is as drastic as above, but the technical side of things isn't really what I look after, I'm just nosy and keep my ears open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

jomoloney wrote: »
    there is a big difference between driving a car with no PS and driving a car which has failed or faulty PS or PS assisted steering

Yeah it's practically undrivable with faulty power steering. Had a similar issue on the Mark 2 Ford Focus and it went on me twice... You can hardly turn the steering wheel...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I had a problem with a 10 diesel power steering unit.

Asked about a recall as there's been one in the UK. No joy, Opel service history but zero goodwill from Opel. The garage thought they'd definitely do something but no joy.

The dealer then asked did I want to book a service (€239!!!) as ya know its worth keeping up Opel service history.

I had a problem with a 10 diesel power steering unit.

Asked about a recall as there's been one in the UK. No joy, Opel service history but zero goodwill from Opel. The garage thought they'd definitely do something but no joy.

The dealer then asked did I want to book a service (€239!!!) as ya know its worth keeping up Opel service history.

Would contacting Opel Ireland direct do me any good here? Needless to say have all the receipts etc for the work

WOW. Yeah, definitely get on to Opel Ireland. :eek:

Our power steering pipe was replaced FOC.

WOW. Yeah, definitely get on to Opel Ireland. :eek:

Our power steering pipe was replaced FOC.

Thanks ill get on to them Monday

Complete joke if there was a recall & they denied any knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Is it all models of the Insignia and What year??? Didnt get any letter from Opel

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Oh ffs I don't believe this my warranty was a few weeks out of date in 2011 when this problem occurred. I had to pay to get the car towed to the dealership in fairness to the garage they only charged me half the repair cost. It cost me €120 altogether.

Just re-read your OP

These were exactly the "symptoms" my car showed. I'll be onto them Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If power steering failure isn't a safety issue, I don't know what is. If for example, you were approaching a bend at anywhere near the limit, failure of power assist would have you straight off the road.

Autosport wrote: »
    Is it all models of the Insignia and What year??? Didnt get any letter from Opel

Seems to only effect the diesel models, 09-10 made cars. There is a list of chassis numbers, but I can't find that publically available.

If you have such a car, get in touch with your local Opel dealer/service centre.

Thanks ill get on to them Monday

Complete joke if there was a recall & they denied any knowledge

Just wondering if you contacted Opel Ireland, and how did you get on? Very curious.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you contacted Opel Ireland, and how did you get on? Very curious.

Hi

I forgot to bring in log book both today & yesterday for chassis number etc. could probably get it from under the bonnet but no major panic.

I'll give em a shout tomorrow. Trust me I'm very curious also!

Has anyone got an e-mail address for Opel Ireland?

I keep getting a voicemail when I ring the number on the Opel website

Opel Ireland
    Fern Road
    Sandyford Business Estate
    Dublin 18
    Ireland

01-2161000 (from Golden Pages) Main Switch.
    01-2161062 (from Opel website) Customer Service

Much better off phoning, or even just writing to them. Email is easy to ignore.

Opel Ireland
    Fern Road
    Sandyford Business Estate
    Dublin 18
    Ireland

01-2161000 (from Golden Pages) Main Switch.
    01-2161062 (from Opel website) Customer Service

Much better off phoning, or even just writing to them. Email is easy to ignore.

I rang several times, always went to voicemail. Left a voicemail but no response yet

I might bang a letter off tomorrow so

I rang several times, always went to voicemail. Left a voicemail but no response yet

I might bang a letter off tomorrow so

There was something going on yesterday up there. Would have thought that someone would normally answer the switch though. I can usually get through to my contact on the 216 1000 number.

Think they close the lines around 16.30, so try them again after 09.30 in the morning.

There was something going on yesterday up there. Would have thought that someone would normally answer the switch though. I can usually get through to my contact on the 216 1000 number.

Think they close the lines around 16.30, so try them again after 09.30 in the morning.

I was ringing the customer service number which is on their website, will try the switch tomorrow. If no joy I'll write to them

Still no response after numerous calls (and voicemails left). All switch can do is put me through to customer service!

I'm writing a letter as we speak

Finally got a call back. They informed me my car is NOT under recall for the power steering issue

However from 15/11 it is due for an ECM calibration. They said owners should receive letters over the next few MONTHS! They run a tight ship....

Advertisement