Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head wrecked!!

Options
  • 15-11-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I might be pregnant, or I might not.

Basically, my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby last month. We both assumed that it would take a while for me to get pregnant, but my period was due on the 8th of this month and it still hasnt arrived - unheard of for me.

Also, my stomach is a bit sick for the last few days, though that might be nerves!

I have done two pregnancy tests, one last Saturday and one today, and they are both negative. My doctor is on holiday so can't get to see her til next week and my head is wrecked with the wait!

If I am pregnant I will be absolutely thrilled, though a bit in shock that it happened so quickly.

Anyway, my questions are

1. Are false negatives common? and

2. Does the doctor usually do a blood test or just a pee test? and if a doctor confirms you are pregnant are you stuck with them thereafter? There is a doctor near me at work who I have gone to from time to time, if i had a flu or something and couldnt get to my GP and I considered just popping into them but I def want my gp to look after me if I am pregnant.

Sorry for the rant, any and all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

brokensoul wrote: »
    I might be pregnant, or I might not.

Basically, my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby last month. We both assumed that it would take a while for me to get pregnant, but my period was due on the 8th of this month and it still hasnt arrived - unheard of for me.

Also, my stomach is a bit sick for the last few days, though that might be nerves!

I have done two pregnancy tests, one last Saturday and one today, and they are both negative. My doctor is on holiday so can't get to see her til next week and my head is wrecked with the wait!

If I am pregnant I will be absolutely thrilled, though a bit in shock that it happened so quickly.

Anyway, my questions are

1. Are false negatives common? and

2. Does the doctor usually do a blood test or just a pee test? and if a doctor confirms you are pregnant are you stuck with them thereafter? There is a doctor near me at work who I have gone to from time to time, if i had a flu or something and couldnt get to my GP and I considered just popping into them but I def want my gp to look after me if I am pregnant.

Sorry for the rant, any and all advice appreciated.
    Hi, not sure about the false negatives to be honest. But the tests the doctors use are not as sensitive as the one's you buy in the chemists. My doctor didn't even bother doing a test when I went and told her I was pregnant. did you try the clearblue digital? And first thing in the morning? Maybe wait for another few days and try again.
    no, you won't have to stick with that doctor. Just tell them you are there as a once off and you will be attending your own GP to organise hospital app etc.
    Good luck, hope you get the result you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

It could still be early to tell for a positive test result! I say give it a few days...I was over two weeks late before I took a test, bought a cheap boots test (literally the cheapest they had haha!) and both lines were showing up before I even set the stick down!
    Your body needs time for the pregnancy hormone to build up, the at home pregnancy tests are waayyy more sensitive than the ones at the doctors office so there wouldnt be much point going there for a test unless they are going to do a blood test. I agree with Gee_G, as hard as it can be to wait, give it a few days and try again, preferably in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Thanks lads, really appreciate it.

I think I will make an appointment with my own doc for next week.

I think I am anxious to know because with every day that passes I get a little more excited that I might be pregnant (as does my husband) and so I want to try and not let it build up for too long so it won't be too dissapointing if I am not.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thanks lads, really appreciate it.

I think I will make an appointment with my own doc for next week.

I think I am anxious to know because with every day that passes I get a little more excited that I might be pregnant (as does my husband) and so I want to try and not let it build up for too long so it won't be too dissapointing if I am not.

Hey I had 3 negatives before I got a positive, in my case I had ovulated later than I taught turns out it was way later. I was due my period around 5th July and I didn't get a positive until July 13th went to doc a week later after getting 5 positives and the docs test was negative so they took blood and I was indeed pregnant just over 21 weeks now. Hope it's the same for you and you get your positive. I know it will be disappointing if negative but my only advice is relax and enjoy the trying part, the first 5 months for us was like a chore and the 6th month we said we'd forget about trying and just enjoy been intimate rather than timing it and I fell pregnant :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I tested every day for a week before I got a positive test. I just knew I was pregnant but kept getting negatives. Got a positive test 4/5 days after my period was due so maybe you just don't have high enough hormone levels yet. Maybe test again in a few days? My head was also wrecked with it at the time too! It was also our first month of trying so I was convincing myself that I must be imagining it because I didn't think it would happen that quickly but it did.

Also, my GP didn't give me a pregnancy test, he said the home ones were sensitive enough and I'd had three positive tests so there was no need for him to check.

• Advertisement

Thanks again.

Doc appointment for next week.

Probably a stupid question but do you get the results of a blood test straight away or do you have to wait a few days for it?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks again.

Doc appointment for next week.

Probably a stupid question but do you get the results of a blood test straight away or do you have to wait a few days for it?

I'd imagine it gets sent away to the lab. I know my bloods I have to allow 2 weeks, but some others might have a quicker turnaround.

Testing the blood for pregnancy is not standard procedure, so you some doctors might not offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I think it depends on how close the lab is that the bloods go to. I got mine back the same day as bloods were collected at 12 to go to the lab which was only 20 mins from the surgery but nurse said its generally 2-3 days. I think the nurse felt sorry for me as i broke down when i went in to get my bloods, i had got 5 positives at home the docs test was negative i was so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

blood tests will take a while in almost all cases. The nurse at my GP took my urine to confirm pregnancy with an instant result.

I had to sign a form that I will not see any other GP in reference to the pregnancy, if you can't wait and go to the other GP make sure not to sign anything. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

xiwang wrote: »
    blood tests will take a while in almost all cases. The nurse at my GP took my urine to confirm pregnancy with an instant result.

I had to sign a form that I will not see any other GP in reference to the pregnancy, if you can't wait and go to the other GP make sure not to sign anything. Good luck!
    What?
    Surely it's your choice if you decide to change gp's during the course of your pregnancy for whatever reason you decide.
    Is that normal practise?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What?
    Surely it's your choice if you decide to change gp's during the course of your pregnancy for whatever reason you decide.
    Is that normal practise?

Maybe its for the combined care?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Neyite wrote: »

Maybe its for the combined care?
    I never heard of that happening tbh.
    The only thing I had to sign when I went to my gp was the form for free medical care during my pregnancy.
    There wasn't even a mention of not going to another doctor. But then again I've been with the same practise since I was a child so maybe they see me as less of a flight risk.

I never heard of that happening tbh.
    The only thing I had to sign when I went to my gp was the form for free medical care during my pregnancy.
    There wasn't even a mention of not going to another doctor. But then again I've been with the same practise since I was a child so maybe they see me as less of a flight risk.
    Well my understanding is that the combined care is free to us, but doctors claim tha cost of the appointments back from the HSE? I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Neyite wrote: »
    Well my understanding is that the combined care is free to us, but doctors claim tha cost of the appointments back from the HSE? I could be wrong though
    Yeah, as far as I know that's the way it works. The doctor has to make the application to the HSE, so I imagine HSE is policy is that you are free to go to another doctor but you'll pay for it yourself.

There's also a communication issue - when my wife was pregnant, after each appointment the GP automatically sent their records to the hospital and vice-versa. If you attend another GP, they're not in this loop and so the hospital or GP might miss out on important detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, as far as I know that's the way it works. The doctor has to make the application to the HSE, so I imagine HSE is policy is that you are free to go to another doctor but you'll pay for it yourself.

There's also a communication issue - when my wife was pregnant, after each appointment the GP automatically sent their records to the hospital and vice-versa. If you attend another GP, they're not in this loop and so the hospital or GP might miss out on important detail.

Yep, I had a friend switch doctors mid-way through her pregnancy and her new doctor wasn't getting information needed from the maternity hospital and there ended being some confusion and miscommunication on a few appointments and some tests that needed doing.

I started bleeding on Saturday. Just a little and then it stopped again.

Bleed heavily and passed clots on Saturday night. I was in a lot of pain, cramps and back ache but most noticeably I was so upset, it felt as if my body had been taken over by someone else. Obviously I was sad and disappointed that I wasn't pregnant but the grief that I had, and have, is just off the wall.

I had made an appointment with my doc for yesterday anyway so I went and spoke to her yesterday and she did bloods and a scan. She rang this morning to say that the HCG levels in my blood were fine so it was a complete miscarriage and they don't need to do anything else.

I suppose what is freaking me out is firstly this thought that maybe I wasn't pregnant at all and that I just over reacted to my period being late. I "felt" pregnant, but I have never been pregnant before so how would I know?

Secondly I am freaked out by how upset I am. I could cry at the drop of a hat all week and that isn't like me.

Both my mum and the doc said to me "well at least you know you can get pregnant" but now, because my bloods are back to normal so quickly, I am wondering if I was even pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I started bleeding on Saturday. Just a little and then it stopped again.

Bleed heavily and passed clots on Saturday night. I was in a lot of pain, cramps and back ache but most noticeably I was so upset, it felt as if my body had been taken over by someone else. Obviously I was sad and disappointed that I wasn't pregnant but the grief that I had, and have, is just off the wall.

I had made an appointment with my doc for yesterday anyway so I went and spoke to her yesterday and she did bloods and a scan. She rang this morning to say that the HCG levels in my blood were fine so it was a complete miscarriage and they don't need to do anything else.

I suppose what is freaking me out is firstly this thought that maybe I wasn't pregnant at all and that I just over reacted to my period being late. I "felt" pregnant, but I have never been pregnant before so how would I know?

Secondly I am freaked out by how upset I am. I could cry at the drop of a hat all week and that isn't like me.

Both my mum and the doc said to me "well at least you know you can get pregnant" but now, because my bloods are back to normal so quickly, I am wondering if I was even pregnant.

Sounds like you've had a terrible time - just be good to yourself and in my opinion, however you are feeling, that's ok. Your hormones are all over the place which is probably why you are so upset, it's perfectly natural. If the doctor said it was a miscarriage then I'd take her word for it but again, you do know your own body. I 'felt' pregnant a few days after I had conceived so I really think that women do know their own bodies well.

Just look after yourself and when you're feeling better (physically and mentally) you can always try again, if that's what you want. Must have been a tough few weeks though!

Advertisement