Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to emigrate??

Options
  • 15-11-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

Im a recent 22 year old social work masters graduate!! Basically I intended on doing the year Oz whole thing but am really second guessing it now! I want to move somewhere out of Dublin, preferably Ireland (however id consider northern ireland) for a while and possibly work in my field of work!!
    I love travelling but i duno whether to focus on that or the work aspect!!

I guess im looking for any advice on places people have travelled to for long periods / migrated ,,, or worked in social work abroad?

Much appreciated , thanks

Rach :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Open ended question, expect open ended answers.

You could stay within Europe, going East towards Slovakia / Poland, or the warmer South towards Spain or Italy- it's far, but not too far if anything problems arise and you need a quick flight back. Also the EU freedom of movement is a big plus.

Would you consider a short TEFL course, just to have it, wherever you land? There's always demand for English teachers, if you need to fall back on something.

If I had one 'big' tip, and I learned this myself ... while you will find a strong Irish expat community almost anywhere you go, don't feel obliged to cling to this comfort.

If you have an opportunity to live with natives of your host country and immerse yourself in their culture and language, definitely do so. I'm not saying ignore your own; obviously it's a good idea to make some contacts, but 'personally', if I could start over I would have done it this way.

Best of luck with your travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

rmck wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Im a recent 22 year old social work masters graduate!! Basically I intended on doing the year Oz whole thing but am really second guessing it now! I want to move somewhere out of Dublin, preferably Ireland (however id consider northern ireland) for a while and possibly work in my field of work!!
    I love travelling but i duno whether to focus on that or the work aspect!!

I guess im looking for any advice on places people have travelled to for long periods / migrated ,,, or worked in social work abroad?

Much appreciated , thanks

Rach :)

Im a little confused by your post OP; is it that you are unsure whether to a big feck off gap year travelling and exploring, or moving to a country to work?

I know a few people who went to OZ with an MA in Social Work and got work through agencies, mainly rural areas but good experience; you can chose to take short term or longer term contracts. Why not, say, plan to go away (say to Oz) for a year, travel for a few months, work, say for 6 and then travel for a bit more? At that stage you will have saved and also you will know if youd like to spend a second year..

My advice, leave Ireland anyways for experience; Im in UK and glad Im here now after the MA experience wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

If you speak German or French, both countries, along with Switzerland and Austria from my own experience offer an excellent quality of life. You would obviously need to check if your qualifications are acceptable.

As an earlier poster suggested, perhaps you would find a TEFL course useful. I taught English in my spare time, which gave me extra money to travel.

The Inlingua Language Institutes around Europe are always seeking new teachers for English. You would work in a great environment and meet other teachers from the English speaking world, which could come in handy for socializing initially and making good contacts.

I taught English to Business people, working hours to suit myself whilst working part time at hospitals. I loved the variety the two posts offered me and the ease with which one can fly home even for a weekend made a huge difference.

I think one needs to have a substantial nest egg to begin with if considering working outside Europe, as if things do not work out as anticipated, you need to be able to afford to move on, or indeed to come home.

As some of the Irish in OZ and NZ will tell you, it is no joke having to get home in a hurry should the need arise, if you do not have money put by for such eventualities.

Yes, very much agree that although it is nice to have some contact with fellow Irish, it is not the best idea to seek out areas that are known to be favorite Irish locations. There is then the temptation not integrate as much with the locals, which can have obvious disadvantages.

Please do not think I am being negative, but just bringing in a little realism.

I wish you the very best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

I heard Brazil's supposed to be great to emigrate to, the poverty for the natives is supposed to be terrible though..

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

When you say it is great to emigrate to, do you mean that there is a lot of work there? I would have thought the opposite, judging by the amount of people who emigrate from the country and the dire poverty that exists.

Are you perhaps referring to a need for a particular skill in foreign workers which they do not have enough of there, just as we did with IT a few years back for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement