Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process of installing a SSD

Options
  • 15-11-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Soon i will be installing a 512gb ssd in my mbp, and I just want to clarify a few things if someone here has done it. I'll be taking the usual precautions; do a time machine back up and a carbon copy of my current hdd and install the OS on a usb key.

my question is does the crucial ssd transfer kit take over the OS, User Profiles (there are two on the current hd), and all applications (including licensed ones like ms office)?

Some videos on youtube are a bit vague on this. When the ssd first boots up does the mac assume everything is the same as before?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

So I'm assuming you're going to put the SSD in, and then connect the HDD via the crucial cable?

Hold down the option button on boot with the HDD connected to choose what disk to boot off, and then pick your usual disk..

Then run CCC and clone your drive onto the SSD, then shutdown, disconnect the HDD, and then boot again.. Everything should work fine (Although when I did it I didn't have a partitioned disk or a crucial SSD)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

When you did the CCC onto the ssd, did it take over the OS? I ask because i think it would be an ideal opportunity to do a fresh ML install.

Also, did the user profiles appear as normal at login?

thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by 'take over the OS'.

CCC copies everything on your HDD (User accounts, settings, documents, the works), and puts it on the destination drive. Then you can remove your old HDD drive completely and boot off the SSD.

In your case you say you have two OS's, you might want to change your boot disk settings to your SSD before you clone the drive, but wither way, you can hold option key at boot and choose the drive to boot on, and then go into prefs and set that drive to always boot automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

sorry I mean does CCC take over OSX and put into onto the new drive?

If it doesn't, I assume I need to install OSX onto the blank SSD then do the transfer of data...

Yes! CCC Copies EVERYTHING (that means the OS)

• Advertisement
Advertisement