Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs need to know Irish?

Options
  • 15-11-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭

I've been searching online for a while but can't find anything. I thought i heard once that you need to know Irish to become a TD in Ireland. If this is so. Do they all know Irish? Would they not be allowed to become a TD if they do not know Irish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Half of them can't speak English good,:P

Yeah i think its a requirement to be fluent in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Best they know Irish, enables them to BS in two languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

All that's required of TDs is to be fluent in bullsh*t, but bullsh*t 'as Gaelige' is the crem de la crem of bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I doubt they do, what about TDs from other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

1huge1 wrote: »
    I've been searching online for a while but can't find anything. I thought i heard once that you need to know Irish to become a TD in Ireland. If this is so. Do they all know Irish? Would they not be allowed to become a TD if they do not know Irish

Yes, most teachers in Ireland can speak Irish.....

TD response VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Cliched Responses ^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

No they dont afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

eh *scratches head* pardon me, what's a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

zyanya wrote: »
    Turbo Dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

zyanya wrote: »

A transmitted disease without the sex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Whether or not they can speak Irish is irrelevant to their competence in legislating.

It's far more important that Judges be fluent in Irish in the Gaeltacht districts and (more importantly) in the High Court and Supreme Court, given that the Irish version of the constitution takes precedence over the English version.

And also given the hash DeValera made of the bilingual constitution, which wasn't so much translated as written twice.

Does anyone know if there is an investigation into or an assessment of a judge's/ counsel's competence in Irish prior to his or her appointment to a higher court?

I doubt they do, what about TDs from other countries?

Gerry Adams can string a few words together 'as Gaelige'.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

by a turbo dick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You dont need to know anything to be a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

Are you joking? If every Teachtaí Dála had to speak Irish you wouldn't fill half the seats, though that wouldn't be a bad thing considering most of the ***** can't do anything anyway.

The bold Bertie couldn't speak any language fluently and he ran the country for years so you wouldn't expect much of the backbenchers!

CillianL wrote: »
    Are you joking? If every Teachtaí Dála had to speak Irish you wouldn't fill half the seats, though that wouldn't be a bad thing considering most of the ***** can't do anything anyway.

The bold Bertie couldn't speak any language fluently and he ran the country for years so you wouldn't expect much of the backbenchers!

I could never understand a word he was saying, I thought he ALWAYS spoke in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

The Sinn Fein TD for Cork North Central Jonathan O'Brien is cringeworthy. He can barely speak English. And to have these guys on Dail Committees interrogating bankers etc. Give me a break.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 cluelessgent

Indeed, perhaps it should be a requirement for our representatives to be fluent in English as a minimum as I find them lacking such a possession

Gent

The Sinn Fein TD for Cork North Central Jonathan O'Brien is cringeworthy. He can barely speak English. And to have these guys on Committees interrogating bankers etc. Give me a break.

Bankers don't need to speak English properly.
    To quote Elvis Costello:
    "Money talks, and it's persuasive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

later12 wrote: »
    Whether or not they can speak Irish is irrelevant to their competence in legislating.

It's far more important that Judges be fluent in Irish in the Gaeltacht districts and (more importantly) in the High Court and Supreme Court, given that the Irish version of the constitution takes precedence over the English version.

And also given the hash DeValera made of the bilingual constitution, which wasn't so much translated as written twice.

Does anyone know if there is an investigation into or an assessment of a judge's/ counsel's competence in Irish prior to his or her appointment to a higher court?

I know in the District Courts that state interpreters (at great expense) are used if somebody insists on having their hearing in Irish. I'm not certain but I think that this is how it works further up the system as well. In regards to counsel, Both Kings Inns and Blackhall Place have Irish exams, but you can easily pass with a basic grasp of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

We should make Dublin Zoo and Fota Wildlife Park into seperate constituencies, I'm sure the Gibbons or the Orangutans could be taught how to bull**** in sign language or sit on a back bench all day and vote for the government on everything saving us a ****ing fortune on everything besides bananas

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Then why the fukc do they insist on doing it, particular on 'grand' occasions, when they know full well that the vast majority of people in this country haven't a bull's notion what thay're on about?

Perhaps it's the doubleplusgood bullsh*t factor, belt AND braces, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    thanks very much. Knew it didn't make sense but have heard so many people say it in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

What use is it to be able to speak Irish?

More important that they are honest!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

9959 wrote: »
    Gerry Adams can string a few words together 'as Gaelige'.

'Sé an dóigh cheart leis an fhocal a scríobh ná "Gaeilge".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

culabula wrote: »
    'Sé an dóigh cheart leis an fhocal a scríobh ná "Gaeilge".

Scríobhtar "Gaolainn" i gCúige Mumhan. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Scríobhtar "Gaolainn" i gCúige Mumhan. ;)

Cinnte, acht ní scríobhtar "gaelige" áit ar bith! Fosta, "Gaedhilg" a deirtear go ceart inns an taobh seo tíre.

Advertisement