Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This might pick an electric brain or two??

Options
  • 15-11-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Safety sevices. chapter 56 of the regs. Is it allowed to run your emergency lighting circuits with your fire alarm circuits non segregated? There is a rule that states you can run LV with ELV provided they are insulated to the highest voltage present but does that apply to safety sevices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

I would say that you can only run LV and ELV circuits together as long as all cables have insulation rated to the highest voltage present regards of the type of circuit. Satety circuit are segregated from other circuits mainly to prevent damage according to them during normal rewiring , maintenance etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alphonse mephisto

My fire alarm cable is rated 300/500v. basicly i just want to be sure i can run the em. lights and fire alarm together, they will be kept away from all other circuits..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My fire alarm cable is rated 300/500v. basicly i just want to be sure i can run the em. lights and fire alarm together, they will be kept away from all other circuits..

I don't think you would be breaking any of the ETCI regulations by doing this. However many (including me) would consider this bad practice.

Poor voltage segregation can sometimes cause faults. I assume that the fire alarm cable is screened, so this should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

fp is screened and rated for higher voltage
    but i don't think it's standard practise anyhow

Thats great thanks for the feed back! Segregated trunking all the way so!

• Advertisement

One other question on the subject. We will not be supplied with pre fabricated bends for the test, so is it permissible to form your own bends in segregated trunking or would this count as a break in segregation?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

One other question on the subject. We will not be supplied with pre fabricated bends for the test, so is it permissible to form your own bends in segregated trunking or would this count as a break in segregation?

The Electrical specification in the Scope of Work documentation may not allow this. However if it is done properly there is no regulation against it as far as I know.

I personally made many trunking bends and sets (up to 6 compartments) on many large projects in Ireland over the years, but that was some time ago.

Advertisement