Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brownlee going long?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its a good thing to go half Im distance pre season for an oly athlete.
    and of course you can be sure that this is a very big apperance money deal.
    Bevan docherty Tyler Butterfield Nicola Spirig all won 70,3 races before the olympic games.
    The galway 70.3 winner tried to qualify for london and did not quite make it and then finished ironman switzerland in July in 2nd place .

I see Ali has signed up to race Abu Dhabi.

Is the the first phase of his quest for Kona dominance?

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/11/14/brownlee-goes-for-gold-at-abu-dhabi-international-tri/

Edit: Apologies - it's only the short course, but still a big jump from 40km to 100km and to non drafting racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

He dropped down to the 100k from LC when he heard i was racing, i would have taken him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I see Ali has signed up to race Abu Dhabi.

Is the the first phase of his quest for Kona dominance?

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/11/14/brownlee-goes-for-gold-at-abu-dhabi-international-tri/

Edit: Apologies - it's only the short course, but still a big jump from 40km to 100km and to non drafting racing.

Less money in IM for the big boys than in ITU. A bit different, be is an animal biker and its the usual run.

He has designs on running the 10k in the olympics and he won't go long and hurt that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Alistair Brownlee has revealed he would love to race in the 10,000m at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

The Olympic triathlon champion clocked 29 minutes, seven seconds in the 10km run at London 2012 - only 97 seconds slower than Mo Farah's gold medal-winning time over the same distance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/triathlon/20327233

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

His 10k at the London 2012 games isn't really comparable to the straight 10k run though as the track event is a lot more tactical and not quite balls out steady paced as much of the triathlon run is. Had Mo and the slowest runner paced it evenly as beast they can you can be sure the time would be a fair bit faster.

That said, im looking forward to tracking his journey and i do think he will qualify for the 2014 games in the 10k if he does go for it. Medaling there now, that im pretty sure is too far beyond him. He does have a serious pain threshold though so it will be interesting so long as he stays in jury free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

He did the Hi Vee tri there recently and finished 14th. The bike leg was non drafting so this could be his weak spot as they reckon the non drafting cycle affecting his run performance, although fatigue and the heat seem to have played their part also. With 100km of non drafting in Abu Dhabi im not sure id back him for the win. Gomez won the Hi Vee btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    He did the Hi Vee tri there recently and finished 14th. The bike leg was non drafting so this could be his weak spot as they reckon the non drafting cycle affecting his run performance, although fatigue and the heat seem to have played their part also. With 100km of non drafting in Abu Dhabi im not sure id back him for the win. Gomez won the Hi Vee btw.

I dunno if he really took it all that serious, he was on a bit of a high after winning the gold at the olympics and had nothing to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I dunno if he really took it all that serious, he was on a bit of a high after winning the gold at the olympics and had nothing to prove.

Alot of money in the prize pot for the winner tho. ($150K I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Alot of money in the prize pot for the winner tho. ($150K I think)

Yep, one of the biggest in Tri I believe (?)

Maybe I'm doing him and Gomez a disservice. It seems the heat got to him and he admitted it was hit or miss after the Olympics. Glad to see Gomez win though and get some form of revenge so soon after the Olympics. He also probably better equipped to handle the heat than Brownlee.

He was in no shape for Hi Vee. That was a money making appearance. He went on the lash after the Olympics and if you look at his recent travelling pics you'll see he has a nice belly brewing!

I wouldnt rule him out based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    His 10k at the London 2012 games isn't really comparable to the straight 10k run though as the track event is a lot more tactical and not quite balls out steady paced as much of the triathlon run is. Had Mo and the slowest runner paced it evenly as beast they can you can be sure the time would be a fair bit faster.

Whilst i agree Mo did not have to do a swim and bike beforehand so that might even the playing field a little:) How much would a run time improve from a fresh start to after doing a swim and bike? I would have thought 60secs or so but its hard to estimate accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Whilst i agree Mo did not have to do a swim and bike beforehand so that might even the playing field a little:) How much would a run time improve from a fresh start to after doing a swim and bike? I would have thought 60secs or so but its hard to estimate accurately.

Problem is Farah has run 26.46, a total of 141 seconds faster, quite a bit at that level.

Saying that i've no doubt Brownlee can compete at commonwealth level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yeah it's night and day.

Be interesting to see what he could do at cross country. He's a handy mountain runner

He finished 48th of 80 odd in the U23 Men European XC champs in Santry in 2009

He has a silver medal from the junior English Cross Country Championships

He has done a fair bit of XC in his early days and still does.

Advertisement