Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet on iMac painfully slow

Options
  • 15-11-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I just bought an iMac off adverts earlier tonight and when I set it up at home the Internet is running really slowly. It's taking ages to load simple web pages. The iMac I bought is the 20" 2.4ghz 2GB RAM 320GB HD 2007 version. Everything else on the iMac responds really quickly, apps open fast etc, it's just the Internet.

I'm not sure if it's my router as its been acting up on my iPhone 4s. I keep having to manually connect. That being said, there are two MacBooks and an iPad in the house and they work perfectly without any issues. When the iPhone doesn't connect it completely shuts off the wifi and I have to manually reconnect whereas the iMac is displaying full signal all the time.

I got a pretty good deal (€480) so should I be worried that I bought a dodgy model? I ask because I just noticed the RAM door is missing. I checked the whole machine when I bought it but forgot to check under the bezel. Could this be affecting it? I checked the activity monitor and it says I've loads of RAM free to use so maybe it's nothing to do with the RAM door.

I read online that people with the 2007 model are having issues with Snow Leopard on their machines. Mine has SL installed. I don't have the disks but I have the OSX disks from when it was bought in 2007. It doesn't say what OS it is on the disk though but I'm guessing it's Leopard?

The computer is literally blazingly fast apart from the Internet. Everything else is opening and closing in an instant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I just bought an iMac off adverts earlier tonight and when I set it up at home the Internet is running really slowly. It's taking ages to load simple web pages. The iMac I bought is the 20" 2.4ghz 2GB RAM 320GB HD 2007 version. Everything else on the iMac responds really quickly, apps open fast etc, it's just the Internet.

I'm not sure if it's my router as its been acting up on my iPhone 4s. I keep having to manually connect. That being said, there are two MacBooks and an iPad in the house and they work perfectly without any issues. When the iPhone doesn't connect it completely shuts off the wifi and I have to manually reconnect whereas the iMac is displaying full signal all the time.

I got a pretty good deal (€480) so should I be worried that I bought a dodgy model? I ask because I just noticed the RAM door is missing. I checked the whole machine when I bought it but forgot to check under the bezel. Could this be affecting it? I checked the activity monitor and it says I've loads of RAM free to use so maybe it's nothing to do with the RAM door.

I read online that people with the 2007 model are having issues with Snow Leopard on their machines. Mine has SL installed. I don't have the disks but I have the OSX disks from when it was bought in 2007. It doesn't say what OS it is on the disk though but I'm guessing it's Leopard?

The computer is literally blazingly fast apart from the Internet. Everything else is opening and closing in an instant.

Sounds like a software issue rather than hardware if everything else is fast.

- Try different browsers and see if it is still and issue (Safari/Chrome/Firefox)
    - Try uninstalling the browser you are using and reinstall.
    - Check that they are up to date versions.
    - Run a speedtest on your internet just in case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Reboot your router.
    Set the iMac "Airport" to "off" then "on" or reboot the iMac.

If that doesn't help then you've probably got wireless interference. Try connecting it to the router with an Ethernet cable and set Airport to "off" as a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Have a look at your DNS settings, a slow DNS lookup can have a big effect on browser performance.

Speed Up Your Web Browsing in a Few Clicks: A Brief Introduction to DNS

Advertisement