Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse hunting !

Options
  • 15-11-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    After that magnificent eclipse in Australia I would love to witness a total
    solar eclipse in my lifetime, anyone know of a handy JS tool to show me the
    next ones ?

I found one by location and seems in the next 100 years there is none in Barcelona -- so need to travel :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi,

The best site for eclipse info is that hosted by Fred Espenak at http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse.html ... he also has a Javascript app to calculate solar eclipses for locations worldwide (2 annular and a good few partials from Barcelona, but no total in the 21st century).

The next total solar eclipse from Dublin is not 'til the year 2600 so it will require booking a ticket somewhere before then ;-)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

jfSDAS wrote: »
    The next total solar eclipse from Dublin is not 'til the year 2600 so it will require booking a ticket somewhere before then ;-)

John

There's a near total eclipse on 20/03/15 @ 0909, should be good!

Confab wrote: »
    There's a near total eclipse on 20/03/15 @ 0909, should be good!

I'm wondering if Ireland will be playing a Euro qualifier against the Faroe Is. that day :D ... totality sweeps across the pitch and Keano scores ;)

Cork (always aspiring to be the real capital) gets 5 total solar eclipses before Dublin's in 2600.

I really think the US in 2017 is the next best prospect.

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Cork (always aspiring to be the real capital) gets 5 total solar eclipses before Dublin's in 2600.John

Is that true?... south Limerick only gets one, November 8 2189.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Lol, saw a rather dramatic doc on climate change there, that put limerick under water by 2150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

namloc1980 wrote: »
    passes close to the north pole, middle of august 2026, wonder if there'll be any ice left up there by then

My mistake ... I rechecked the books and there are only 3 total solar eclipses in Cork County before the 2600 AD one. These are in 2090, 2189, and 2442 AD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The last one over my house was in 1724 - gosh I'd love to know if anyone saw it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Lol, saw a rather dramatic doc on climate change there, that put limerick under water by 2150.

Now THAT'S good news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement