Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Christmas lights

Options
  • 14-11-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all, the Christmas lights seem to be ready around Ennis, nothing on the town council or Chamber of Commerce websites....does anybody know if there is a "turning on" or anything special......got a 5 year old who loves everything Christmassy(of course).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

The Council has also confirmed that the Christmas street lights will be switched on by the Mayor of Ennis Cllr. Peter Considine on Friday, 23 November. Entertainment during the switch on event will be provided by local school choirs and theatrical group, Pantaloons.

http://www.clareherald.com/2012/11/ennis-christmas-parking-and.html

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Thanks for that, must have missed it somehow.....just thinking(and looking at bits of other threads here regarding business0 that it would be great if this was really advertised by the Council....get people into town, maybe buy coffee/dinner/even sweets for the kids and enjoy everything going on while a little boost for business. Let`s wait and see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Do we really need the lights up and on before December?!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Yes, its a great feel good factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

CptSternn wrote: »
    Do we really need the lights up and on before December?!
    What harm can it do? I think they're nice and children love them :)

I even put my Christmas tree up yesterday, my little one made me do it :o:D

The Christmas hype seems to start earlier every year, there were Christmas adverts on the telly a few days after Halloween this year. I'd say Ennis traders will need all the help they can get this year. I've tried to support local businesses by purchasing gift vouchers in town - book vouchers, restaurant vouchers and tickets for Glór.

I've done a bit of online shopping too and now that Parcel Motel have collection points in Limerick I'll probably be buying more online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Personally Christmas starts around the second week in December, the build up is grand but wears a little thin if you start too early.
    No problem with the lights on in town, late November is just about acceptable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When I was younger my mother used to ban all talk of Christmas until the first Sunday in advent, that's about right for me. I think yesterday was the first Sunday so Friday before is quite acceptable, if they waited until next Friday it would have been a bit too close, if anything it cheers the place up a bit and instead of everything just looking wet it looks shiney :D

Advertisement