Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-reader or Tablet?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

So just looking for a bit of advice for a Christmas present I'm thinking of getting for my girlfriend. She's mentioned in the past how she'd like an e-reader since she spends a good bit of time on public transport going to and from work.

I was thinking of buying her a Sony PRS-T2 for Christmas and I was looking around all the different sites and shops when I came across the variety of tablets that are there. I was just wondering would it be worth spending up to €250 on one of these tablets or should I just stick with an ereader since that's what it will be mostly used for. I'm just thinking myself that for a small bit extra the tablet can do so much more but it might not be best for reading.

Also is the PRS-T2 a good reader or should I be looking at something else.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Hi Kevco. I've been having the same dilemma but having played around with a work tablet computer and read ebooks on it, I'm going for a Sony reader. But I will get the light to go with it. They look much better than the kindle. Sony usually make good hardware.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd stick with an eReader, tbh, if the main purpose is going to be reading.

Also, I'd probably go a with a Kindle, too. Their readers are great and their after-sales service is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Thanks for the info guys.

Ya I think I'll go for the Sony ereader now myself. You have more freedom as regards getting books from different locations like Waterstones and google. You can join a virtual library too where you can rent books for your ereader just like renting books normally. That's why I'm more inclined to go for the Sony rather than the Kindle. Undoubtedly the Kindle are fantastic but it's the fact that there's more freedom with Sony that I'm leaning towards that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I put books from any source on my Kindle. It's not locked down like people think.

A free program called Calibre converts from any book format and can manage your library if you want.

Is the Virtual Library thing restricted to Sony users? Sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

I went and bought the Sony Ereader anyway today. I think there were loads of pros for both and either way I don't think it should make a huge difference.

On the virtual library thing, I'm not sure if it's restricted to Sony or not. I know both Cork and Dublin libraries are on the system though so it sounds good anyway to be able to rent some books!

• Advertisement
Advertisement