Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linkedin

Options
  • 14-11-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

Im using linkedin for approx 2 years, and am finding it hard to see much value in it, with the exception of establishing a cyber link to former colleagues and contractors which i currently use.
    To establish a value from the cureent contacts is difficult to calculate, as it has not brought mush innovation or change for me either. It is good to see who is talking to who, and to see any updates with the industry.
    I'm also watching an individual who, every time i log on, has numerous new contacts established. in sales i can understand the related importance. Im also watching same company to see of profits are soaring - related to over 1000 connections! time will tell!

so how do you find it?
    • is it an upmarket facebook?
    • is it a profile booster to let prospective employers vet your work and recommendations?
    • is it a stick to give your current employer an indication you are looking for another job?
    • Is it worth upgrading from the basic package to gain some untapped knowledge or oppourtunities?
    Or perhaps I should be connecting to people outside my current network to expand my scope and exposure.
    thanks
    h2ff.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

My brother went overseas looking for work, he tells me the first thing the yanks look at is your linkedin profile.

You could say it is a glorified CV site but it worked out well for him, the recommendations were worth more than any employers references, according to his current employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I think it is generally poor for generating business and direct sales pitches to fellow members seems to be regarded as rather tacky.
    I do think it is a great place to profile/showcase yourself if you are an employee and are open to being headhunted without having to actually put yourself on the market! That keeps the price up too!

Maybe I am just getting too old and cynical!

Cheers

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Join a few groups based around your industry and comment on threads or create your own. It will give you exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Apart from the connections you are linked to, I use LinkedIn to do research on companies and make international connections. I am in the transport and logistics business and am able to generate business through LinkedIn and handle business using LinkedIn groups to suss out what is available in the market.

I would also suggest that you get former colleagues and superiors to issue endorsements. It helps to improve your visibility on LinkedIn and generate interest from (prospective) employers.

I know that my son in australia has just started LinkedIn in order to develop his profile so he is visible to recruiters and potential employers.

So, different applications for different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PatCo

I found that LinkedIn has evolved a lot in the past few months and I am a big fan.
    I use it a lot lately as I am looking for job opportunities and it is definitely a good tool as:

- you can consult a lot of job offers.
    - you can easily see who is connected to the person who posted the job and can get introduced by your own connections.
    - it gives you references that any employer can look at without wondering if they are genuine as you can not make them up!
    - you can join groups that you are interested in and if there are a lot of discussions that do not bring you anything, you would still find interesting facts or references to websites, knowledge bases...etc...

LinkedIn is great if you know how to use it at your advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stephanied83

I am a recruiter/exec search consultant and I use linked in extensively for work. From my point of view its an excellent source of passive job candidates.

I do agree it's tacky for direct sales pitches, you need to build up a rapport before you pitch to someone but it is a good starting point for making contact.

My advice would be to get involved in groups that are relevant to your industry or that you are interested in. This has a number of benefits, it allows you to showcase your expertise and gets your name out there are someone who knows there stuff, always a good thing no matter what line of work you are in. It allows you to build a network of contacts within your industry. Its also a mine of information, if you have a question on anything, ask it in the relevant group.

Advertisement