Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venetian Blinds - Wooden or Aluminium

Options
  • 14-11-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've recently bought a house and am planning on getting Venetian blinds in. We had someone out to quote last night and he was pushing the aluminium blinds. He didn't supply the white wooden ones I wanted. My GF thinks I am being stupid wanting the wooden ones but I feel aluminium ones are for Hospitals and Offices.

Just wondering what people think the pro's and Con's of each are.

Thanks,
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I def would'nt go for the aluminium, it would look office style. I have wooden, their great but a pain to clean. What about the regular style blind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

No to aluminium blinds.

Luxaflex Pecan Wooden 50mm slat blind.

Nice warm feeling,and 50mm slats also let in more light too.:)

Got 13 blinds made for my house for just under 850 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Aluminium have a really cold officey vibe. Your living room would feel like a waiting room. :( And they make lots of noise & when they bend they have creases in them.

I have oak-colour wooden ones & they're nice & warm looking. No bends cos I suppose I don't go messing with them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I'm with Paddy here, I have the wooden blinds too but unfortunately I don't have pics to post. Never see them in houses I work in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

hi OP , I have the aluminium ones in my bathroom they are great to clean , not sure about how they would look around the rest of the house although we did have them in our family home when we were young and they were lovely and fresh looking . the wooden ones really are a pain to clean as they gather dust very quickly . there are new blinds on the market now which I would like to get myself , they are roller blinds but made of a special material that you can wipe clean . hope this helps .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Correction, I have seen wood look aluminium blinds, yes they are easier to clean and a lot lighter and thinner than timber. (Straight away I was thinking aluminium in colour ).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

Thanks for all the help guys. Kind of reaffirms what I thought myself. it will be a no to Aluminium blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I got a few blinds from myblinds.ie - the snow white ones

great value, look great, quick shipping, great service... (no affiliation lol)

jameshayes wrote: »
    I got a few blinds from myblinds.ie - the snow white ones

great value, look great, quick shipping, great service... (no affiliation lol)

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I actually was onto them already and the guy is coming to measure up on Saturday

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I actually was onto them already and the guy is coming to measure up on Saturday

I measured and fitted myself - easy as eating pie on a saturday to be honest,

my windows are really wide (2.4 meters) so they were expensive, I think 90 per blind + a small shipping fee

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    I measured and fitted myself - easy as eating pie on a saturday to be honest,

my windows are really wide (2.4 meters) so they were expensive, I think 90 per blind + a small shipping fee

That really doesn't seem to bad to me. I think my biggest window is my Bay window which would need 2 blinds. A long one and then a small one at the side window but the long one I think would be less than 2 metres. Might just get them to measure up, order and have a go at fitting them. At the end of the day, If it's too difficult, I can get them out to do it

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    That really doesn't seem to bad to me. I think my biggest window is my Bay window which would need 2 blinds. A long one and then a small one at the side window but the long one I think would be less than 2 metres. Might just get them to measure up, order and have a go at fitting them. At the end of the day, If it's too difficult, I can get them out to do it

Yeah, its not expensive, but when you click the link and see like 20 euro or something - then I entered 2400 and it jumped in price 5 fold!

There is a video on their site about how to fit them, its deffo a job for 2 people because it's hard to hold the blind and mark the wall where the brackets go at the same time if you're alone.

Tools;
    Drill with hammer action
    Spirit level
    Screwdriver
    Pencil
    measuring tape

I've half done the measurements and it seems very reasonable for the whole house. Myblinds.ie charge 20% to fit them then although i'm sure that can be negotiated for a whole house. I'll keep posters updated and if I go with it, i'll post some pics up

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

paddy147 wrote: »
    No to aluminium blinds.

Luxaflex Pecan Wooden 50mm slat blind.

Nice warm feeling,and 50mm slats also let in more light too.:)

Got 13 blinds made for my house for just under 850 euro.

Thats a lethal price paddy I got quoted 495.00 for 3 Standard windows which i thought was a bit OTT:rolleyes:. Tell me did you put them in the high moisture zones also ie bathroom and kitchen? Would they be prone to damage from moisture there or are they sealed / varnised well enough.
    I guess you fitted yourself and did you fix to the window or the plasterboard in the alcove. I attached blackout blinds direct to my alcove and they fell out a few months later. (used crappy fixings)

I've gone with myblinds.ie. Getting 8 elite basswood blinds for under €850 including fitting. I'll post some pics once they are fitted

Advertisement