Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delicious MSG

Options
  • 14-11-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

So just to breakdown some interesting facts
    Up until the last hundred years, we believed we had 4 taste receptors on our tongues, one set for each of the following:
    Bitterness
    Saltiness
    Sourness
    Sweetness

However a fifth was discovered in 1908 that was dubbed "Umami", meaning "delicious taste" in Japanese. This fifth flavour can't be tasted by everyone, and is actually natural in meat and seaweed.
    A further misconception is that specific taste buds are located in regions on the tongue, they are in fact distributed across the whole tongue.

The Umami taste is also known as the glutamate taste, is brought about by (you guessed it) glutamate, an easily synthesised version of glutamate is monosodium-glutamate, thus we have MSG.

On its own, MSG is bitter and not very tasty- but when mixed with anything in the right amount, it enhances the flavour. So far we speculate that only some species have these glutamate receptors.

Currently, all reliable studies into the health affects of MSG (including double blind trials) conclude that it is safe for the general population. (The word "general" is used because people can have allergies). Large amounts of MSG (not practically obtainable by the general public) are of course dangerous, just like anything else. MSG is not physically addictive, however like everything else - it can be mentally addictive.

Food that is marked [MSG Free] is pandering to a fear that has no basis in fact. That annoys me because it's feeding a misconception to make money. Many uninformed parents will happily shell out some extra money for a treat that seems "healthier" for their child.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I love MSG. It seems to hit about 2 or 3 seconds after the initial taste.

You know the way. "Hm not so sure about this taste...............GIVE ME MORE"

Best example would be Monster Munch. Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

MrCreosote wrote: »
    You know the way. "Hm not so sure about this taste...............GIVE ME MORE"
    Best example would be Monster Munch. Lovely

I do indeed know that way, my personal favourite is Bikers (the "spicy" kind).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dairy products especially cheese( putting Parmesan on yr pasta) full of glutamate,
    Mushrooms , soy sauce .. All full of the stuff...
    Never seen a kids snack that has "no MSG" written on it....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Skips changed the recipe a few years ago (I'd say many people noticed the change in taste).
    They now advertise on their packets "No MSG".
    Walkers crisps say "No MSG".
    I think Hula Hoops also have it on them.

I'll try to get some pics the next time I'm in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I thought the problem with MSG was the S, sodium.
    Most of us are already way over the recommended sodium intake with our fondness for salt (sodium chloride) and that is why I try to limit other forms of it, such as MSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

In the past, I have overheard people placing an order with a Chinese, and during the course of the conversation they say "No MSG, please".

Now, I'm reasonably sure that the row of condiment bottles in the kitchen on the Chinese doesn't say :
    Salt. Soy Sauce. Pepper. Oyster Sauce. Chili Powder. MSG.

So, what - if any - difference is there between the same dish if I order it or if my "No MSG, please" friends orders it?

PS. I suspect that the answer is "None whatsoever"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

So, what - if any - difference is there between the same dish if I order it or if my "No MSG, please" friends orders it?

They will look the same and smell the same.

But your one will taste far, far better.

Let them lead their unhappy lives of unenhanced taste.

(As far as I know a common condiment in Asia is a salt/MSG mix to be shaken directly onto food if its deliciousness doesn't meet one's own exacting standards)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In the past, I have overheard people placing an order with a Chinese, and during the course of the conversation they say "No MSG, please".

Now, I'm reasonably sure that the row of condiment bottles in the kitchen on the Chinese doesn't say :
    Salt. Soy Sauce. Pepper. Oyster Sauce. Chili Powder. MSG.

PS. I suspect that the answer is "None whatsoever"

I remember watching an 80's Chinese cookery show (might have been ken Hom)
    He was putting pinches of Taste Powder into everything... For taste powder read MSG.

Bit of a side track, heard on radio last year some researchers reckon there may be a 6th taste ..... Fat ....plausible...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The biggest problem with MSG is no hidden danger, it's down to the attribute that everyone knows about it, it makes things tasty, really tasty, eating when you're not hungry tasty, finish a whole packet of pringles tasty.

It's a pillar of the elements utilised by food scientists to engineer food to be hyperpalatable and overcome the innate satiety mechanisms in your brain.

MSG can be used to reliably make laboratory animals overeat and induce obesity.

Yes, free glutamate is present in many natural fermented foods, and our liking of it is perhaps a result an evolutionary adaptation to seek fermented foods to as a sort of probiotic. However we are not evolutionarily prepared for food that is chemically enhanced with free glutamate, just the right amount of salt, fat and flavourings to set fire to the reward systems in our brain and ensure we can't stop from overeating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The biggest problem with MSG is no hidden danger, it's down to the attribute that everyone knows about it, it makes things tasty, really tasty, eating when you're not hungry tasty, finish a whole packet of pringles tasty.

It's a pillar of the elements utilised by food scientists to engineer food to be hyperpalatable and overcome the innate satiety mechanisms in your brain.

MSG can be used to reliably make laboratory animals overeat and induce obesity.

Yes, free glutamate is present in many natural fermented foods, and our liking of it is perhaps a result an evolutionary adaptation to seek fermented foods to as a sort of probiotic. However we are not evolutionarily prepared for food that is chemically enhanced with free glutamate, just the right amount of salt, fat and flavourings to set fire to the reward systems in our brain and ensure we can't stop from overeating it.

Exactly. Try not eating a whole packet of pringles for example :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Exactly. Try not eating a whole packet of pringles for example :D

But that's way too tough for ordinary mortals without a 10 step program. I often have to sit on my hands to stop me opening the second....

Advertisement