Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare or Citrix

Options
  • 14-11-2012 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently working in Sydney as a System Administrator in an all Windows 2003 & 2008 server environment. I have MCSA for 2000 & 2003 server as well as expired CCNA. The company I work is in the middle of takeover and all the System Administrators are been let go.

As part of the redundancy deal been offered to me is training course. As I will not get somebody to sponsor me in time or complete the paperwork for different type of visa I will be coming home to Ireland. Just wondering would VMware or Citrix course stand to me more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Also working as a Sys Admin and if I had the choice it would definitely be VMWare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I'd vote VMware but that would be a personal choice.
    Think about it and do your research!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭tech

Citrix Xen is taking off big time also I believe, VMware are under pressure due to licensing costs of their products

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. After speaking with a few recruiters in Dublin, VMware still has the market share and is the skill of choice. More companies are moving to Citrix but still good to have VMware behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

If you can use RedHat/Centos you will be able to administer XenServer with minimal add on training. Dom-0 is roughly based on Centos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

id take vmware, not sure about citrix but as far as i know the only way to get vmware certification is to attend a vmware trainig course

yeah Vmware have it nicely sown up, you attend the course for the week and they your allowed sit and exam

no course = no exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

tech wrote: »
    yeah Vmware have it nicely sown up, you attend the course for the week and they your allowed sit and exam

no course = no exam!

Not quite right. No course = no cert. You can take the exam at any time but will only get ther cert once you've attended one of the official courses.

ahh ok, I was close enough. its a big money racket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

tech wrote: »
    ahh ok, I was close enough. its a big money racket

Wasn't giving out. I agree that there is this element to it but let's not forget what happened to the MCSE some years back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'd also go for VMware, unless you have your eye jobs with specific job with Citrix roles. Saying that, I'm looking into Citrix certification for my own job. VM/cloud skills seems to be the way things are going alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Hi OP

Which Citrix certs do you have in mind ?
    Feel free to PM me [ I'm currently Citrix certified so am happy to share details on certification programs if needed ]

Vico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Hi,

I'm currently working in Sydney as a System Administrator in an all Windows 2003 & 2008 server environment. I have MCSA for 2000 & 2003 server as well as expired CCNA. The company I work is in the middle of takeover and all the System Administrators are been let go.

As part of the redundancy deal been offered to me is training course. As I will not get somebody to sponsor me in time or complete the paperwork for different type of visa I will be coming home to Ireland. Just wondering would VMware or Citrix course stand to me more?

Which technology interests you more? App/desktop delivery? or server virtualisation and private cloud?

If you are getting a free course, do the VMware VCP course and ensure to sit and pass the exam as soon as the course is over to better your chances of passing. There's no point in doing the course and not getting the cert! :-)

RE: Citrix, you can easily pass the first three Citrix exams (XenApp, Xendesktop & Xenserver) with home study / lab work. The CCEE and CCIA need a fair bit of real world experience.

I'm both Citrix CCIA and VMware VCP certified, both are sought after but they are different certifications and technology entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not a total vamp, as it's the newest related Citrix thread, so...
    cance wrote: »
    RE: Citrix, you can easily pass the first three Citrix exams (XenApp, Xendesktop & Xenserver) with home study / lab work. The CCEE and CCIA need a fair bit of real world experience.
    Looking at the Citrix jobs, and thinking of maybe looking at the exams to help me in... is "XenApp, Xendesktop & Xenserver" the order of the first three exams?

Advertisement