Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTSC or PAL?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Which do you prefer buying? NES games for example are much cheaper in NTSC on sites like lukiegames.com

Also, Would it be easier to buy PAL consoles and then a convertor to play NTSC games, Or just an NTSC console and one of those power adapters to work on PAL TVs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I recently sold off all my PAL Snes & Nes stuff, because as you say, its far cheaper to collect for NTSC on sites such as lukiegames/ebay etc.

There's also the benefit of the games running full screen & full speed {60Hz}.

Regards an adapter, I bought a US NES & that takes a regular Snes/NES power supply so no adapter needed. When I bought my US Snes, I use a modified Megadrive 1 power supply to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ichirau

EnterNow wrote: »
    I recently sold off all my PAL Snes & Nes stuff, because as you say, its far cheaper to collect for NTSC on sites such as lukiegames/ebay etc.

There's also the benefit of the games running full screen & full speed {60Hz}.

Regards an adapter, I bought a US NES & that takes a regular Snes/NES power supply so no adapter needed. When I bought my US Snes, I use a modified Megadrive 1 power supply to run it.

Thanks for the reply :)

So i can just use my PAL Snes power supply on the NTSC Nes? Would i also need different cables to hook it up to my Tv?

Ichirau wrote: »
    So i can just use my PAL Snes power supply on the NTSC Nes? Would i also need different cables to hook it up to my Tv?

Thats what I do yeah, works perfectly.Regards video cables, use the two yellow & white rca cable connections on the side of the NES...depending on your tv it should work & also give you far better image quality to boot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NTSC all the way. Cheaper games and the hardware isn't botched with 50Hz slow down. The only excuse to play PAL games is the PAL exclusives that funnily enough usually aren't optimised for PAL so play better on NTSC hardware anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It depends.

If the software is locked to 50hz then NTSC consoles all the way.

If you can mod the console to display games in 60hz (Like the Megadrive and Snes) then it's PAL for me. Generally, think NTSC US (not Jap) consoles, games and packaging look brash and loud. A lot of the art Europe got was closer if not the same as the Jap stuff. America on the other hand had to go and 'westernize' everything.

Look at this beautiful Megadrive version

563315_58685_front.jpg

Now look at the Americanized monstrosity.

Castlevania_Bloodlines.jpg

Fantastic PAL box art

IMG_6328.jpg

America? fcuk no!

soniccd.jpg

Not the best PAL cover...
    super-nintendo-rival-turf.jpg

But then when compared to this...thing

Rival%20Turf_usa_face.jpg

• Advertisement

The Sonic CD game on NTSC-U format in general is terrible compared to PAL & NTSC-J...the music on the US version is awful in comparison.

o1s1n ir right, it can come down to an individual game that'll decide the region, be it censored games or box art...you kinda have to do your homework when making the choice.

In general though, for Snes its NTSC all the way for me, be it U or J. I absolutely hate the look & feel of NTSC-U Genesis carts though, they feel so cheap in comparison to NTSC-J or PAL ones so I use a modded Megadrive & collect PAL for that.

There's no one for all solution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If you buy an MK1 Megadrive and a scart lead then all you have ti do is open your console and scrap a little bit of connection on the board and it instantly becomes a NTSC genesis, I done this and it works great.

Master of the Universe

If you buy an MK1 Megadrive and a scart lead then all you have ti do is open your console and scrap a little bit of connection on the board and it instantly becomes a NTSC genesis, I done this and it works great.

You just scraped the jumper? But you need to be able to switch it back. Region lock out and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You show Castlevania Generations there but that's actually a game you really should avoid getting the PAL version of. Most of the gore was cut from the PAL version. Stage 1 is the worst affected, it's very plain and boring with all the cuts they made.

Master of the Universe

Yep I know, just discussing artwork here ;)

I guess to keep Retr0 happy we can go with the Jap version :p

castlevania_bloodlines_frontcover_large_XDdz5VyVvYqYUJw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

o1s1n wrote: »
    You just scraped the jumper? But you need to be able to switch it back. Region lock out and all that.

all I meant was if he was just going to buy NTSC games then this was an easy solution, its just as easy to solder 3 wired to those points and put in a switch so you can region switch. There are a heap of guides to do this.

Master of the Universe

all I meant was if he was just going to buy NTSC games then this was an easy solution, its just as easy to solder 3 wired to those points and put in a switch so you can region switch. There are a heap of guides to do this.

Ah, so you mean to force the console to NTSC and say 'feck off' to PAL for good!

Yeah, it's doable. Might as well just complete the mod though as you're saying so you can retain compatability with PAL exclusives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

In defence of US artwork:

ZombiesBox2front.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThdUKvZCD0YSiYlk6mcTcqoO5iHohVt-c175MOe0HKM3ey-2hWP3lK3PpWXg

Master of the Universe

Eh?

This is the US snes artwork. Which is awful.

tumblr_m9zio0OmIH1rozv5qo1_1280.jpg

What's that one you posted there? I've never seen it before.

Master of the Universe

Googled that image you posted as a matter of interest as it does indeed rock and I've never seen it before.

Apparently (according to Hardcoregaming101) it's the Mexican alternate cover version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Googled that image you posted as a matter of interest as it does indeed rock and I've never seen it before.

Apparently (according to Hardcoregaming101) it's the Mexican alternate cover version.

I know, it's not really American but hey. Funny thing is the Mexican Snes boxes are generally of a lower quality. Poorer materials, not as glossy and manuals are pure crap.
    Should always look for made in Japan over made in Mexico.

It does indeed rock and far nicer than both the pal and regular ntsc versions.

I like the US cover,it's got the same B movie charm as the game.

Advertisement