Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODB - 8 years already!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I've told this story like 3 times on this forum already, but I actually got to meet him briefly when I was 10. My brother was 18/19 and a MASSIVE Wu-Tang fan, we were on a family holiday in New York, crossing the street when my brother stops and starts shouting at this homeless man about how much he loves him... The homeless man was actually ODB, brown paper bag in hand and absolutely off his face on drugs. Was courteous to my brother and me though, have to hand it to him for that.

I recognised him due to this album cover:

Odb_welfare.jpg

Which was also probably the first rap album I ever heard/enjoyed. I remember watching my brother play Doom on his PC and me singing along to this:

Loved it. Still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For me Return to the 36 chambers is actually the best solo album to come out of the whole Wu-Tang Collective.

I know OBCL, Liquid Swords, etc... are probably more critically acclaimed but this album is just a piece of perfection.

Its ODB at his best and the production has that pure wu-tang sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Imo he was bottom two with Masta Killa on terms of best Wu-Tang MC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

must of been 10 or 11 when i first came across ODB via ghetto superstar on the radio. I remember it being a huge hit like constantly on the radio, loved it so much i bought the single on cassette for my old sony walkman.

songs like ghetto superstar, gangstas paradise, i got 5 on it, killing me softly, feel so good, mo money mo problems etc are all some of my earliest hip hop memorys its not really till the slim shady lp,mmlp, 2001 and even country grammer i really started understanding the genre and started getting into all the older stuff from pac,big, snoop etc.

you wont hear a hip hop banger like this on your radio anymore in this country, ODB demands to be heard on it.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

One of the maddest fúckers of all time

Anyone got the story about when he was on the run from the cops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

LUPE wrote: »
    Imo he was bottom two with Masta Killa on terms of best Wu-Tang MC

Nah, he was the best.

Thelonious wrote: »
    Nah, he was the best.

What a ridiculous comment to make.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

What a ridiculous comment to make.

Nah, he arguable was the best. So unique and so raw. Also very versatile. Ain't no father to his style. DEFFO not in the bottom 2 that is for damn sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Theyre all excellent, ODB was the most prolific and stood out the most but he wasnt the most skilled.

Actually theyre not all excellent, U-God is shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

method man or ghost for me, i enjoy there solo stuff the most anyway.

• Advertisement

iamstop wrote: »
    Nah, he arguable was the best. So unique and so raw. Also very versatile. Ain't no father to his style. DEFFO not in the bottom 2 that is for damn sure.

GZA, Raekwon, Ghost, Inspectah Deck and Meth are all unquestionably better. You could make an understandable case for him being better than the others but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Rza. That is the only thing unquestionable.

Rza. That is the only thing unquestionable.

Not as a rapper. As a producer, of course.

Not as a rapper.

Listen to more Rza, especially current Rza. He is easily the most consistently good rapper out of all of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Some of the Bobby Digital stuff was a bit wack in fairness!

As was some of all of their solo and even some of the wu stuff.

Advertisement