Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do FAS fund TEFL courses??

Options
  • 13-11-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

As some of you probably know the cost of any CELTA/TEFL course are somewhere in the region of 1,100-1,600. I would like to do one as I think it will greatly improve my chances of employment and it is something I believe I will be very good at. My question is do FAS even part fund these courses? The last thing I want or need is to ask the credit union or bank (ha, fat chance!) for a loan to do this. If anyone can shed some light for me I would greatly appreciate it. Do some schools offer payment plans, I wonder? Also if anyone has advice in general about the best courses available, what ones to avoid, etc CHEERS :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Do you think there are many jobs in TEFL available in Ireland? There aren't.
    Why should FÁS fund you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AineRua

I have a couple of friends who work regularly...maybe it depends where in country you are based?? What is your experience?

I'm based in Dublin and I have a CELTA. Whilst there is work during the summer, it's very difficult to find work at other times of the year.

There is a TEFL forum on boards and people have asked about Fás funding before. They don't do it.
    As far as qualifications go, the CELT or CELTA will open doors for you abroad, along with a degree.
    The CELTA course is tough enough but it is excellent training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AineRua

Ok, thanks for that-good to know and sorry that you have not had an easy time finding work outside the busy summer months. FAS do on occasion fund FETAC accredited courses but am not sure if they would accept a CELTA or TEFL course. Why should they fund me? Well, because if there are available funds (unlikely, I know) then me availing of them would in turn (hopefully) help me to get back into some level of employment, be it part time or whatever. Am starting to exhaust all other options at this stage..

AineRua wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for that-good to know and sorry that you have not had an easy time finding work outside the busy summer months. FAS do on occasion fund FETAC accredited courses but am not sure if they would accept a CELTA or TEFL course. Why should they fund me? Well, because if there are available funds (unlikely, I know) then me availing of them would in turn (hopefully) help me to get back into some level of employment, be it part time or whatever. Am starting to exhaust all other options at this stage..

To be honest I did the course really with the aim of finding work abroad and will probably end up doing that. In the mean time I have other work in an unrelated area and I volunteer teaching Adult Literacy. I am studying as well.
    Your question has been asked before in the TEFL forum so I reckon you will get more info. there.
    Either way, good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement