Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored at work...

Options
  • 13-11-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi All,

I joined a new company about a year ago and have worked pretty hard as the company 'front' meeting new Customers and loading up work for the rest of my team. And have really enjoyed it up until about a month ago.

At that point I had my team loaded up with work up until the New year, which is great for business but for me it means I can't really go out winning new business until then as we don't have the staff to service the need. In other words I have nout, zip, nada, zilch work on in the last 4 weeks or so. Hiring more staff is not an option as we are at our limit of staff should 1 of our contracts not renew in the New Year.

So I'm thinking about approaching my boss and saying this to him as I'm afraid if he looks at my IE histroy he'll see 80% browsing. Now in fairness there's not much I can do as I'm doing all I'm asked.

Am I foolish to say 'Hey, I'm bored have you anything that needs doing', or should I just stay quiet and keep browsing? Things have literally got so boring I've been looking at other job sites

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Help your team that you have 'loaded' with work and you will be in a position to take on new contracts in a shorter period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

hmmm... why dont you just ask him for your P45 while your at it

keep the head down and look busy and use smart phone for internet! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I can just feel a blizzard of at least you have a job comments coming this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

You dont delete your history???

Idiot.

ps. thinly veiled "I have an easy job" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just rack up your post count here.
    Time will fly by...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Help your team who are swamped with work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm afraid if he looks at my IE histroy he'll see 80% browsing.

He doesn't need to see your computer to check that.
    Companies will have a central "web proxy server", where all internet traffic goes through. It's standard for them to log the URL's that people request.
    Whether anyone bothers to check them is a different matter.
    Am I foolish to say 'Hey, I'm bored have you anything that needs doing'

No, it shows initiative.
    Is there any preparation work you can do for future work, or can you see any improvements that can be made to increase productivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

I do where I can but I don't have the skillset they do.

P.S. Wiping my Internet history doesn't matter a sh'te, it's all written to a central server for safekeeping anyways. Do you think if you go looking at p'rn on the web at work and wipe it off your history, you're fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ask him, there is nothing worse then somebody sitting there pretending to work, it shows initiative to ask. Don't tell him you are bored though, put it as "the other team are really busy, do they need help"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Here's a secret - the vast majority of people in sales, and it seems like you are in sales - will have a slack period when they've done exceptionally well. My advice...STFU and enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

You might not have the skill set to help the team but I'm sure you could do something to help them, typing, printing, photocopying etc.

If the boss sees you have all your work done and are helping others, it will do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Seduce one of the receptionist's !! that'll give you something to do for sure !!

• Site Banned Posts: 39 Mr Clamp

Blast the boss with piss and see what happens

Mr Clamp wrote: »
    Blast the boss with piss and see what happens

:D That would definitely secure the P45 and considering I'm in Cork and he's in Dublin that would be some achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I do where I can but I don't have the skillset they do.

P.S. Wiping my Internet history doesn't matter a sh'te, it's all written to a central server for safekeeping anyways. Do you think if you go looking at p'rn on the web at work and wipe it off your history, you're fine?

Oh sh*t

9959 wrote: »
    Oh sh*t

It's rarely checked so wouldn't panic. Have only had 1 employer pick me up on it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OP, might be an idea to mention to ask your boss does he/she need help with anything as you are not too busy at the moment. Do not use the word "bored" and do not mention that you have been whiling away your hours on the internet!

If they say no, at least you've asked and could then spend time learning something new and job-related online, researching new business opportunities, checking up on what your competitors are at or checking out similar businesses to yours overseas for new ideas or something similar.

Advertisement