Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt

Options
  • 13-11-2012 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Lads/Ladies/Hairdressers

I'm looking for some big bags of salt to spread on my tarmac. Like..lots of salt.
    Anyone have any idea where i would get some in limerick and an idea of the cost?

Cheers

D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most building/farming suppliers should be able to help you out, Co-Ops definitely should be able to help, if you were in Ennis I would be telling you to go to Dan McInerney's and they'd sort you out, don't know of similar in Limerick though.

BTW, I've been told that spreading salt consistently on private drive ways can damage it in the long term, salt means that the ice will have a lower freezing point, which means it stays as water, but that might seep into your tarmac/bricks and if a bad freeze comes may cause cracking, I don't know how true that is as I've never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Clareman wrote: »
    Most building/farming suppliers should be able to help you out, Co-Ops definitely should be able to help, if you were in Ennis I would be telling you to go to Dan McInerney's and they'd sort you out, don't know of similar in Limerick though.

BTW, I've been told that spreading salt consistently on private drive ways can damage it in the long term, salt means that the ice will have a lower freezing point, which means it stays as water, but that might seep into your tarmac/bricks and if a bad freeze comes may cause cracking, I don't know how true that is as I've never tried it.

Its not for ice...its to kill moss...i only intend to do it once!!!!!

option2 will be a truck load of petrol and a match :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Petrol and matches FTW. Bring the boys out and we can make a BBQ of it!

If that doesn't suit you, Lidl and Mace and a few other shops tend to stock bags of salt in the winter months.

I love donedeal... it has everything!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4170289

I was going to see if i could manufacture some sort of flame thrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't you have a classic car or am I mixing you up with someone else?

I know I would not be putting large quantities of salt down anywhere near where my cars are. :eek:

If you hire a good portable jet wash or steam wash machine you will clear an average sized driveway of stubborn moss in an hour or so.

Do it once or so a year and you will have no moss back. Also brush the driveway even once a month after you powerwash it, and the moss won't settle back.

Salt is a very short term solution for getting rid of moss as it can kill the moss that is there but once it eventually washes away it leaves behind what the moss needs to grow..

• Advertisement

I had an E30 m3 which has now been sold. I've only the bike now and the salt wont be going anywhere near it.

Will jet washing it not just be the same..it will clear it but it will come back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'll bring the Tequila and lemon!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

You could also try a mix of 50 grams of salt to one litre of vinegar and a dash of washing up liquid. Might be kinder to the tarmac - and it's what I've used to get rid of grass growing on the patio.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

My parents use fabric detergent to kill moss, dunno who told them to do that :confused:

They just lash a bit of it over the moss, leave it a while then hose it and brush away with the yard brush. Not sure if it's the most environmentally friendly solution though?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just buy a 5 litre container of white vinegar in one of those foreign shops for 5-6 euro and splash/spray that on the weeds.
    2 days later they have dried out (will be back next year though :))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Can you spread it this time of year to kill moss? I've moss on my patio out back, don't want to power wash it cause it'll bring up all the gravel between the slabs and I'm too lazy to re-do that, I sprayed roundup on it last summer but it's back now and I don't want to spray more cause with all the rain it'll just ruin my lawn.

I had an E30 m3 which has now been sold. I've only the bike now and the salt wont be going anywhere near it.

Will jet washing it not just be the same..it will clear it but it will come back?

If you do a thorough power wash of the driveway, you will lift up the moss but you will also remove the tiny clusters of soil etc that the moss is using to grow in.

Yes it can come back over time, but if you power wash the drive once a year and also give it a good brush once a month, you should stay more or less moss free.

There are a few factors that can cause moss to grow in a spot quicker than other spots, but what I have suggested is a pretty simple way to keep the drive moss free and also avoids having any salt or chemicals on your drive that could harm your vehicle, pets, kids etc in any way.

Clareman wrote: »
    Can you spread it this time of year to kill moss? I've moss on my patio out back, don't want to power wash it cause it'll bring up all the gravel between the slabs and I'm too lazy to re-do that, I sprayed roundup on it last summer but it's back now and I don't want to spray more cause with all the rain it'll just ruin my lawn.

Get a good yard brush, one with pretty sturdy bristles and give the patio a very thorough sweeping whilst using boiling water on each slab that is not in contact with grass.

That way you keep the gravel between the slabs and remove the moss.

The key to preventing moss is very simple, you just have to keep removing the tiny pockets of soil/nutrients that gather in smalls recesses on driveways, patios etc., and regular brushing does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Lads/Ladies/Hairdressers

I'm looking for some big bags of salt to spread on my tarmac. Like..lots of salt.
    Anyone have any idea where i would get some in limerick and an idea of the cost?

Cheers

D

Tinsley Salt - Dock Road. Bags if salt for all applications. They are in at the back of the old garage in the l/h side before Roches Feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I was in the co-op in parteen the other day - they have very big bags for sale in the stores

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Use diluted bleach and a good yard brush myself.
    O'neills feeds off of Gerald Griffen st might have the salt.

I must do that tomorrow, the moss is bright green on the patio now it's growing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

jeyes fluid kills moss

Advertisement