Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army No.1 Uniform

Options
  • 13-11-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Is it the job of the Defence Forces to tailor tunics and slacks or are guys and girls meant to have it done privately?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Is it the job of the Defence Forces to tailor tunics and slacks or are guys and girls meant to have it done privately?

It is a job within the Defence Forces but it would depend on where you were based. Some army posts might have a tailor others won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

It is a job within the Defence Forces but it would depend on where you were based. Some army posts might have a tailor others won't.

So do some DF personnel have their uniforms tailored outside of the military?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Yeah, I did, at least. Trying to get a hold of the tailor in Cathal Brugha was a nightmare. Much easier and faster to bring the job to a civvie. Just be damn sure they know exactly what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

For enlisted pers it is the job of the Barrack Tailor...if one exists. Officers usually use a civillian tailor as they get an allowance for upkeap of their uniforms.

Yes, it is more efficient if there is no Barrack Tailor available.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

does anyone else not think this is unacceptable?

Im no RATM head but if they issue a uniform they should ensure it gets tailored. instead you have to play find the taylor in a barracks game then have to bribe them into doing the job their there to do!(Ireland for ya). Oh and if your in the rdf......

ive spent roughly 50 beans of my own money so far on my no.1 which could have went towards kids ect ect ect moan moan moan.

rant over

• Advertisement

c-90 wrote: »
    does anyone else not think this is unacceptable?

Im no RATM head but if they issue a uniform they should ensure it gets tailored. instead you have to play find the taylor in a barracks game then have to bribe them into doing the job their there to do!(Ireland for ya). Oh and if your in the rdf......

ive spent roughly 50 beans of my own money so far on my no.1 which could have went towards kids ect ect ect moan moan moan.

rant over

To be honest, I think the idea of a barracks tailor is silly. Just give out the uniforms and a firm spec for the uniform and let each soldier get it done him- or her- self. We all, one way or another, get funds towards this anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Aha - but what if, like me, you've started getting insanely fit and now your tunic would fit twice the man you are!? Ive to get mine tailored, im broader across the chest but narrower across the waist - thats estrogen supplements for you :) - so have to get the whole thing tailored. trousers are loose too. I wont be wasting my time finding a barrack tailor though. Good local place in my home town who's done quite a few SD1 uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Donny5 wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the idea of a barracks tailor is silly. Just give out the uniforms and a firm spec for the uniform and let each soldier get it done him- or her- self. We all, one way or another, get funds towards this anyway.

There is a firm spec - AI A9 Dress and Medal specifies how and when every uniform is to be worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

c-90 wrote: »

I know of someone in the RDF who was able to get tailoring done in barracks in Dublin recently. Persistence is the key (and vague hints that a senior rank sent you in).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Maoltuile wrote: »

I know of someone in the RDF who was able to get tailoring done in barracks in Dublin recently. Persistence is the key (and vague hints that a senior rank sent you in).

Up in these parts if the world you could get the barrack tailor to look at you No 1s no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Why?

If the DF want to issue a uniform, which is guaranteed to require the attention of a tailor, they can provide the tailor.

I don't get any funds to pay for a tailor.

John Mongo wrote: »
    Why?

If the DF want to issue a uniform, which is guaranteed to require the attention of a tailor, they can provide the tailor.

I don't get any funds to pay for a tailor.

You get your salary, which is what you should pay for your uniform adjustments from, I think, just like every other employee. At a time when the DF is being downsized continuously, tailors are a unecessary luxury, and getting your SDs fitted on your own dime is no difference to the man on civvie street having to his suit altered. Of course, you might think that you're entitled to have it paid for you, but I disagree.

You get your salary, which is what you should pay for your uniform adjustments from, I think, just like every other employee. At a time when the DF is being downsized continuously, tailors are a unecessary luxury, and getting your SDs fitted on your own dime is no difference to the man on civvie street having to his suit altered. Of course, you might think that you're entitled to have it paid for you, but I disagree.

An unnecessary luxury? They're just regular soldiers who've done a tailors course... They're not civilians working in barracks or anything.

There's nothing unnecessary about them.

An unnecessary luxury? They're just regular soldiers who've done a tailors course... They're not civilians working in barracks or anything.

There's nothing unnecessary about them.

Of they're unnecessary. There's endless civilian tailors who bods can go too, and that military tailor can be put to work soldiering, not sowing.

Of they're unnecessary. There's endless civilian tailors who bods can go too, and that military tailor can be put to work soldiering, not sowing.

I'll have the same allowance Officers get for the upkeep of my uniform so. Thanks.

If the DF issue a uniform, which requires tailoring straight off the bat and further tailoring throughout your career, along with the fact that if said uniform isn't upto standards it can result in disciplinary action, well then they can provide a tailor for it.

My balls am I gonna fork out more money on stuff that the DF should be doing.

Ah sure outsource the cooks, admin staff, medics, I.T, and signals too

The DF is meant to be a self sufficient organisation. Tailors are needed.

benwavner wrote: »
    Ah sure outsource the cooks, admin staff, medics, I.T, and signals too

The DF is meant to be a self sufficient organisation. Tailors are needed.

The DF is not nor is it meant to be self sufficient. I don't know why you'd think it is? They don't refine their own petrol, farm their own food, press their own ammunition, even fix their own radios.

I would outsource the cooks, admin and I.T., given half a chance, and those are all going to be sooner or later. Medics and Signals are soldiering roles, so I wouldn't outsource them.

If the DF issue a uniform, which requires tailoring straight off the bat and further tailoring throughout your career, along with the fact that if said uniform isn't upto standards it can result in disciplinary action, well then they can provide a tailor for it.

There are plenty of civvi jobs where exactly the same applies, and yet you just have to take care of it yourself.

Bad choice of words on my part but you know exactly what I meant. I suppose all our trades in the Engr & Tpt Corps should be also outsourced? AC maintenance staff plus ATC?

You would rather outsource all the support staff of each branch of the DF?

benwavner wrote: »
    Bad choice of words on my part but you know exactly what I meant. I suppose all our trades in the Engr & Tpt Corps should be also outsourced? AC maintenance staff plus ATC?

You would rather outsource all the support staff of each branch of the DF?

The Engineers and Transport are both combat roles, but I'd happily outsource all non-combat support. Particularly for military aviation, contracting maintenance is the norm, and why not elsewhere in the DF?

I did know what you meant, but I also disagree. The Defence Forces is already entirely dependent of civilian bodies to function, so why not remove roles that require no military training at all from soldiers. This is especially true for tailors, whose role is both non-essential (in combat terms) and non-military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Getting my SD1s fitted cost me an arm and a leg 130 if I remember correctly, They destroyed the trousers and had to do a fair bit of negotiation to get replacements from my stores, The only reason i got them was the barracks tailor didnt do them! I had to get them done myself, I know of lads who got issued theirs 2 days before he start of a pots course with no time to get them fittted or no access to the barracks tailor!

The RDF seems to have cut back on issuing Service Dress, Possibly due to the expense , Who knows!

• Advertisement

RDF has not cut back on issuing SD1's, its more a case that RDF members are completely alien to clothing forms and the process involved.

if you fill out the clothing form and get it processed and signed off then you can go into the barracks and get your uniform. simple.

If you are being denied something that you believe you should be issued as its on the scale of issue then follow it up with the chain of command.

Morpheus wrote: »
    RDF has not cut back on issuing SD1's, its more a case that RDF members are completely alien to clothing forms and the process involved.

if you fill out the clothing form and get it processed and signed off then you can go into the barracks and get your uniform. simple.

If you are being denied something that you believe you should be issued as its on the scale of issue then follow it up with the chain of command.

Really? Which barracks would that be? Say if you are based in Clifden or Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Really? Which barracks would that be? Say if you are based in Clifden or Castlebar?

then it should be arranged at subunit level for personnel to visit stores to be issued with kit, or to submit sizes and have the cq bring the stuff out and issue it.

neilled wrote: »
    then it should be arranged at subunit level for personnel to visit stores to be issued with kit, or to submit sizes and have the cq bring the stuff out and issue it.

So you want to set aside a wagon and a driver and fuel to drive people from Clifden or Castlebar to Galway (if they are lucky) but more probably Athlone. All for a set of No. 1s that they might wear once a year on St Patricks day?

I would suspect that there are more obstacles than just a lack of familiarity with clothing forms.

Edit: and also set aside rations for all involved in the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Seems simple to get them issued if you are in a dublin unit, If you are not based in the capital its a struggle to get anything issued! Even basic replacement of damaged dpms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Makes sense then to get rid of any unit not based in a permanently occupied barracks.

Ah right.

well i'm not in an occupied barracks.

I have to make the journey to McKee to get issued clothing... AFAIK only permanently manned barracks contain clothing stores for obvious reasons.

I assume your HQ unit is based in such a barracks, they will have an office there and that's where you can get you clothing forms from as they will be sent there from your own barracks once you fill them out.

Surely you must go to the occupied barracks to get weapon training?

If enough of you have clothing issues then your cadre could arrange to have the stores temporarily opened one of those evenings or weekends for an hour to resolve this. its probably a matter of asking the right people the right questions.

The process remains the same, the issue of transport to and from that clothing stores is the problem.

Advertisement