Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rice family in France

Options
  • 13-11-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was watching an episode of ' ce a chonaigh i mo theachsa' recently and it dealt with the Rice family who apparently were a wealthy merchant family with a bank in Nantes. The programme inspired me to do a little research but I have found little on them. I found it strange that the book 'Strangers to Citizens- the Irish in Europe', though containing a chapter on Irish merchants in France has nothing about the Rice family.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Did not see that programme; the Rice family was I think from Carlow/Kilkenny and a branch in Waterford had the banking business AFAIK. Same family as Ignatius Rice, founder of the Christian Brothers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was watching an episode of ' ce a chonaigh i mo theachsa' recently and it dealt with the Rice family who apparently were a wealthy merchant family with a bank in Nantes. The programme inspired me to do a little research but I have found little on them. I found it strange that the book 'Strangers to Citizens- the Irish in Europe', though containing a chapter on Irish merchants in France has nothing about the Rice family.

Gerry Rice, the Meath priest, has written a rake of stuff about the history of Meath. I'd say he knows more about the family history than anybody alive. He's one of the last of the scholar priests.

Advertisement