Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Prez Steve Sinofsky is booted out @ MSFT

Options
  • 13-11-2012 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭

This deserved it's own thread

http://gizmodo.com/5959997/steven-sinofsky-the-head-of-windows-is-out-at-microsoft

This is the same guy that was head of the Microsoft Office division, before being placed as the Windows president after a shakeup post-Vista launch. He is the one responsible for Windows 7, 8, SkyDrive, Surface, and Outlook.com. In short, his credentials were solid, and Gizmodo seems to think he was outed not for something a bit more substantial behind the scenes. He was apparently a notoriously bad team player in the executive level.

No idea what this news will bode for 8, it's app store, or even Office for that matter. Office is meant to be coming to iOS and Android next year. SkyDrive is one of the most useful things I've ever used and I worry for it now.
    Microsoft is saying that Julie Larson-Green will now lead all Windows software and hardware engineering and that Tami Reller, the CFO at Microsoft, will assume responsibility for the business of Windows. In a letter to Microsoft employees about the news of Sinofsky leaving, Ballmer says:
    As we enter this new era, and with the successful launch of Windows 8 and Surface behind us, Steven Sinofsky has decided to leave the company. Steven joined Microsoft in 1989 as a software development engineer and has contributed to the company in many ways from his work as a technical advisor to Bill Gates, to leading the evolution of the Microsoft Office business, to his direction and successful leadership of Windows and Windows Live as well as Surface. I am grateful for the work that Steven has delivered in his time at our company.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Overheal wrote: »
    SkyDrive is one of the most useful things I've ever used and I worry for it now.

sorry to be offtopic, but skydrive just seems to be pretty similar in usage to google drive. Except that Google drive works with xp (yada yada 11 year old OS , but still used a lot out in the wild), thereby making it a lot handier than MS's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Except that Google drive works with xp (yada yada 11 year old OS , but still used a lot out in the wild), thereby making it a lot handier than MS's one.

Not only XP (which is still used on 25% of all personal computers), but the likes of Google Drive, Ubuntu One, iCloud and Dropbox are also cross-platform, you can use them on Linux machines, Apple computers and smartphones (other than those 3% using a Windows phone OS) which makes Skydrive the least attractive cloud option.

As for Sinofsky, I'm sure in time we'll learn the true reasons why the man who was believed to be the next CEO had to leave Microsoft. If you read his letter, you will notice that he doesn't thank anyone at the company so we can safely discard all the "mutual" bull, they'll be feeding us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Be interesting to see where he pops up next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Booted out is a bit harsh.

It seems like he was a bit of a dick to work for but got results so it was overlooked how awkward he was to work for.

Some reading here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

kaimera wrote: »
    Booted out is a bit harsh.

It seems like he was a bit of a dick to work for but got results so it was overlooked how awkward he was to work for.

Some reading here

All those years at MS and suddenly he doesn't work well with others. It sounds like spin to me. I am sure there is a lot more to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement