Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apple products communicating with each other

Options
  • 13-11-2012 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have an iphone 4s and im looking at perhaps getting a mac.
    The reason im considering a mac over a different laptop/desktop is that I understand that apple products connect with each other automatically and share info etc etc but im not quite sure what this means.

Can anyone clarrify?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you can download iCloud as a desktop tool for PC as well

if thats all you wanted a mac for..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try the Mac forum Here you might get more accurate replies

21/25

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

uch wrote: »
    Try the Mac forum Here you might get more accurate replies

Yeah I'll move it over for you op.. :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

OP, that is probably the best feature of apple products. They work extremely well together. The downside, the products are locked down to an annoying level and iMacs are over priced.

Owner of; iphone,ipad,apple tv and imac :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Can you elaborate on the fact that they work extremely well together?
    I dont really know what people mean when they say that

• Advertisement

Apple products are very intuitive for non tech users. Of course non apple products can sync and communicate to make a home network but my experience is that apple products do it best.

If you have an itunes library on an imac, simply turn on home sharing and you can access the content on your ipad / phone / tv.

If budget is not an issue Macs are brilliant but remember you can do all of these things with a PC for half the price. If your itunes is on a PC it's just as easy to communicate with apple tv / iphone etc.

Are you concerned about setting everything up or getting apple and non apples products to communicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hmmmmm, I dont really know if that is reason enough for me to go out and buy a mac tbh.

Im not a gamer and I only really need a laptop for basic functions such as surfing the web.
    I didnt really understand the whole apple communications between products thing and didnt want to rule it out if it was really cool.

Think ill just go with a basis laptop and give the mac a miss.

Thanks for putting some perspective on the whole thing.
    Really apprciate it.

To be honest it's not. There are more luxury than necessity. You can set up a perfectly good system with a PC for a few hundred euro

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Airdrop is pretty cool, I don't know if they brought it to iOS yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Macs are much more than just the syncing, it's all about the experience. if you like the experience you have had so far with you iphone, then the mac will be a great extension of that.

If we all just wanted to get from A to B we could all buy a bike, fortunately the world is full of choice, we can walk, take a bike, a car or a plane etc. Some cars look good, some cars are fast, some are economical, some are unreliable, some are comfortable and some are expensive.

The point being, the Mac packages together some of the very best technology, superb engineering, the highest Eco friendly standards, and presents it in a nice form factor. They have also taken the very best and most secure software and repackaged that in Mac OS X. All this offers a great solution for the Home and business user, with dedicated service centre's across Ireland and a dedicated support team in Ireland, there's peace of mind for you.

I don;t believe the BS you can buy a machine for half the price, I've built PC's and spec for spec, the Mac costs a little more but not much. They use high spec components, you only need to see their products against a competitors to see the value.
    All this adds up to a great user experience and for that it costs a little more, but in my opinion it's well worth it.

• Advertisement

I agree with almost all of the above. However apple products specifically iMac's are over priced and appear to be going up. I bought an imac late 09 and the same model today is just shy of 2k. That an increase of 300/400.

They are sleek and work very well but there is an element of 'look at the shiny' about them.

Advertisement