Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone screen repair and phone insurance

Options
  • 13-11-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 but my query is more general phone related

Ive cracked my screen and it looks like ill need to cough up around €160 to repair it as ive no insurance.
    Anyway thats my fault but ill need to sort this in case it happens again.

So to phone insurance

Ive heard lots of bad stories about them as in they are very poor at paying out.
    Will they cover a cracked screen?

I refer to the small print of chill.ie and mobilecover.ie:

"
    EXCLUSIONS APPLYING TO THE COVER
    1. The insurance does not cover:
    (a) depreciation or loss, destruction or damage arising from wear and tear or superficial scratching or
    cracking that does not affect the functionality of the mobile device
    or any process of heating, drying,
    cleaning, dyeing, alterations or repair to which the property insured is subjected "

Id imagine most cracked screens are superficial ie. the phone still functions.
    This could be an easy cop out for insurers.
    So has anyone claimed for a cracked screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

That line put me off having my tablet insured... Would love if someone could clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Asked them about this today.

"What we mean by 'cracking that does not affect the functionality of the mobile device' is little scratches or small chips on things like the back of the phone. These may happen over time, but the phone will still work. Gadget insurance covers you for damage that impacts on how you use your phone. For instance, if you drop your phone and the screen cracks, you'll be covered as this means the screen does not fully function. Let me know if you need anymore info. Thanks."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

im also wondering whether to insure my new S3, is Chill.ie the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chipster1973

From experience stay away from mobilecover.ie they are total rip off merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

also looking for insurance, help boardsies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement