Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the oldest email or digital photo you have?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've been using the Internet for quite some time i.e. 28.8k was the speed.

I don't have any really old emails because it was so hard to back things up back in the day.

I have an old AGFA 640x480 digital camera that cost £300 in 1997 that still has some photos on it, but I don't have the lead anymore. (Anyone have one?)

What is the oldest dated email (or digital photograph) you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I don't know what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I don't know what to say.

Just shut up and kiss me you fool.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have print outs of a couple of emails from cousins on 9/11 and the day after. They both worked in Manhattan at the time and one of them witnessed the second plane hitting WTC so it's part of family history.
    No idea about photos though, nothing as old as the 90s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a shame Yahoo closed inactive email accounts, I still remember my usernames & passwords from back as far as 1997. But when I log in they have to be reactivated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Oldest digital photo's are from April 2004 when I got my first digital camera. Of course I have scans of photos taken before then, but that doesn't count.

Oldest email is from April 2005. I used to have to delete emails to free up space in my hotmail inbox, so don't have anything older even though I know I used that account going back to 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

i still have the first ever mp3 i downloaded way back in 1997! :p
    'twas before mp3 players even existed as i remember - you had to play mp3s
    in winamp. "traditional irish folk song" by denis leary it was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

First email was from dec 1992. It was from our university system to the one at my girlfriends email account at another uni. My email address was something like 234532457w95.dept221.manun@mailsys.com.
    Hers was similar. I have a print out of it in the attick somewhere.
    First digital photo is from about 2002 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Uthur wrote: »
    i still have the first ever mp3 i downloaded way back in 1997! :p
    'twas before mp3 players even existed as i remember - you had to play mp3s
    in winamp. "traditional irish folk song" by denis leary it was :D

Winamp. Brilliant.

I have some photos on Photobucket from 2002. That's about the earliest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Amazed to see that I have emails in my Eircom inbox from March 2000. Maybe their service is not so crap after all. But then again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Amazed to see that I have emails in my Eircom inbox from March 2000. Maybe their service is not so crap after all. But then again....

i still use indigo.

pmcmahon wrote: »

i still use indigo.

I still remember Oceanfree.net emails. I'm feeling old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I opened my hotmail account in 1996 but it was a complete pain trying to store emails with only 2mb of space so it appears, after searching in my folders just now, that oldest email I have is from 1999 when a friend moved to the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i still use indigo.
    phoenix999 wrote: »
    I still remember Oceanfree.net emails. I'm feeling old.
    Tinet anyone?!

Don't know about emails but think I have some old Lotus Works/123 documents from pre-1998...on a floppy:(

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Tinet anyone?!

Don't know about emails but think I have some old Lotus Works/123 documents from pre-1998...on a floppy:(

Wasn't Tinet the old Eircom name?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I have an old email up in the attic that belonged to my grandad, it must be at least 60 years old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Tinet anyone?!

back when times new roman ruled the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I still use my yahoo account, opened it in 2001. Deleted a lot though as didn't have the space. I did write an email to Embrace looking for sheet music for Drawn From Memory in 2002 and didn't the pianist write back so I kept that.

Kept ones without pictures cause they took up less space. I'm really able to embarrass the lads now. Emails suggesting I join this new site called Bebo and things like that.

I also must have put up in a guns n roses forum somewhere that I had November Rain sheet music cause I got this email from a lovely girl called Jessica in 2002
    Hi, I'd be really appreciative if you could send me the notes for November Rain. I was on a site and noticed that you posted that you're in possession of them and it'd just mean the world to me if you sent them to me. See, there's this guy, who's an awesome guitarist. And he said that he needed a pianist to play November Rain with him. I said I could, but I can't learn it by ear and I want to play with him so badly because I've been crushing on him since freshman year and..please? Please send them to me?
    --jessica

I never sent them :(

Thank God for Gmail. No more old Hotmail accounts with trillions of spam and emails from President Obogda of the New African Republic Bank asking me to mind $30,000,000 for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I remember one of the first digital photos I had was one my neighbour took and gave me on a floppy disk, around 1998. It was of a snowman lying dead in front of my parents' car, complete with snow dent on the bonnet. Rip off of Calvin & Hobbes. He thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Oldest email I have is a signature confirmation from PetitionOnline to end Bob Rock's ties with Metallica :o . Second oldest is another PetitionOnline about something to do with Ashlee Simpson :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I have one email from an ex sent in 2000.

He was the strong brooding silent type that totally messed me around, had all the girls fighting over and everyone in the world told me to have nothing to do with, that it would never come to anything. Presumably I'd more spirit back then and as i was absolutely head over herls for him i battled it out for a few months until I'd has enough of the disappointments, told him it was over and ignored his calls and texts. An email arrived a couple of days later in my inbox to my complete astonishment (i didnt expect him to give a crap) with a plea to be with him, a very frank confession and a declaration of love. My little heart flipped so i gave him a chance and true to his promises he never let me down again, in fact it was like a complete transformation. I could never bring myself to delete the mail even years later when we broke up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Oldest that I can find is 2000 but I am sure if I looked harder that I could do better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I still have access to my old hotmail.com account from 2003. I have emails saved from my Onetel ISP (dialup) but the account no longer works.
    They were bought over by Tiscali if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i found old dot matrix print outs of emails from 1996 between me and my then best friend. we were talking about noel and liam gallagher :p

Advertisement