Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Eligibility

Options
  • 12-11-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Hi, this is partial curiosity and partial taking a plunge.

I am a 20 year old earning 21k a year, I have 10k in savings and my rent currently is 350 per month. After rent, food bills etc I manage to save 100per week (5k per year).

According to mortgage calculators I am eligible for a loan of 70-80k. There is a 3 bed house for sale for 75,000. I would plan on borrowing 65k to buy it. My repayment per month would be around 350euro. (This is what I'm paying now in rent anyway). I would plan on letting the other two rooms for 80 per week each (which would yield 640 a month, enough to cover the repayment), and if i couldnt rent both, or even any, i'd still be able to afford the repayment on my own anyway.

What are my chances of getting a mortgage, is my age a hindrance, or will my savings/budgeting help me? I have a permanent, full time contract.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Others might give you firmer pointers, but a couple of things to note:

- Security of employment will be key.
    - History and consistency of savings and household budgeting will be important - age shouldn't be a negative but may count against you on this aspect.
    - Potential income from renting rooms will probably be ignored.
    - While current repayments seem affordable, stressed repayments at higher interest rates would also need to be affordable.
    - Other things like having any other debt, now or previously, will be considered.

Advertisement