Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eligible for grant on 2nd undergrad if never received grant before?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all. Hoping someone can help here.

My sister is looking at going back to college next year. She attended DCU for a number of years but never completed her degree. We know her 'free fees' eligibility is used up but what about the maintenance grant?
    She never received a student maintenance grant for her years at DCU- she applied for it once and only half filled the application so it wasn't processed. She didn't follow it up after that.
    Would she still be able to claim maintenance grant if she decides to go back to college now on her second attempt(different course, different college)?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JKF wrote: »
    Hi all. Hoping someone can help here.

My sister is looking at going back to college next year. She attended DCU for a number of years but never completed her degree. We know her 'free fees' eligibility is used up but what about the maintenance grant?
    She never received a student maintenance grant for her years at DCU- she applied for it once and only half filled the application so it wasn't processed. She didn't follow it up after that.
    Would she still be able to claim maintenance grant if she decides to go back to college now on her second attempt(different course, different college)?

TIA

It depends

When did she finish in DCU?

If it was more than 5 years ago she would be eligible

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html
    In general, you will not get a grant for repeating a year or attending a course at a level that does not represent progression from what you have done before. However, ‘second chance students’ may be eligible for a grant. A ‘second chance student’ is someone who is aged over 23, did not successfully complete an earlier course and is returning to pursue an approved course after at least 5 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

She left DCU about this time last year so only 1 year ago. I read that bit on the CI website but I didn't know if it applied to those who were never in receipt of a grant before.
    We were hoping that she might be able to get it this time. Maybe time to look at other financing options

JKF wrote: »
    She left DCU about this time last year so only 1 year ago. I read that bit on the CI website but I didn't know if it applied to those who were never in receipt of a grant before.
    We were hoping that she might be able to get it this time. Maybe time to look at other financing options

If she is going up a level - she might still be eligible but it looks like she won't be

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Would She be liable for fees?

Adrian4 wrote: »
    Would She be liable for fees?

Yes

If she had dropped out and returned after 5 years she might be eligible again

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/free_tuition.htm

OP - I think you could get tax relief on fees

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

The degree she is considering is fee paying anyway so it doesn't matter~ €4500 per year in tuition. You can see why a grant would be useful!

Cheers for the help!

Advertisement