Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Graphics Problems

Options
  • 12-11-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

I had a problem installing 8 64 bit edition on a 64 bit machine, it just would not install as the graphics went all funny, you couldn't even read the display, then I tried a friends 32 bit edition of 8 to see would that install and it did no problem, now a few people have had the same problem over on Tom's Hardware and it seems it's a driver issue on NVIDA graphics cards. Anyone on here have the same problem or come across it. It has me baffled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Have it running on a test machine here, Windows 8 x64 Pro on a Dell Vostro 420 Q6600 4GB AMD HD5450
    I installed it originally on an nVIDIA 8800GT but changed to the 5450 as I wanted the machine to be as quiet as possible and the 5450 was passively cooled.
    No problem with the graphics while the nVIDIA part was in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

SickBoy wrote: »
    Have it running on a test machine here, Windows 8 x64 Pro on a Dell Vostro 420 Q6600 4GB AMD HD5450
    I installed it originally on an nVIDIA 8800GT but changed to the 5450 as I wanted the machine to be as quiet as possible and the 5450 was passively cooled.
    No problem with the graphics while the nVIDIA part was in use.
    I'll give you the link to the problem http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1228-73-very-windows-graphics-card-issue he has the same problem as myself and he even has a video up to show what's happening when you try to install 64 bit windows 8. One thing I did try was to try and install it with my on board graphics card and it worked, but that's a poor graphics card, the one I installed is much better but won't work with 64 bit windows 8, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you only used the latest driver? try a legacy driver.

Overheal wrote: »
    I'll give that a go.

Overheal wrote: »
    Didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

200motels wrote: »
    Didn't work.

I had an issue with my ATI Radeon graphics driver after I upgraded to Windows 8 over the weekend. AMD haven't released the Windows 8 drivers. To get it working I had to install the Windows 7 driver using Windows 7 compatability mode.

rhonin wrote: »
    I had an issue with my ATI Radeon graphics driver after I upgraded to Windows 8 over the weekend. AMD haven't released the Windows 8 drivers. To get it working I had to install the Windows 7 driver using Windows 7 compatability mode.
    I can't even install windows 8 64 bit. If you look at the link in a post above you'll see the problem I'm having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Have the same problem mate tried install it on my desktop which has an amd x64 processor and a NVidia graphics card and its gets as far as the splash screen then the graphics go haywire and become illegible and the computer goes no futher.. Did you install the 32bit version without problems??? I ran into these problems installing the 64 bit version!!

Yes installed 32 bit with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

ye done it myself worked 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Worked for me with amd x64 and radeon gpu crossfire

That's very weird. The fact it does that when booting from the install DVD would rule out a driver issue, as WinPE uses the generic VESA VGA driver at this stage of the installation. I'm stumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trxking

Karsini wrote: »
    That's very weird. The fact it does that when booting from the install DVD would rule out a driver issue, as WinPE uses the generic VESA VGA driver at this stage of the installation. I'm stumped.

you need a new video card bro after that should work grand here is a link to a list of cards that should do the job

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=you+mad+bro&um=1&hl=en&safe=active&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=923&tbm=isch&tbnid=ejfP9uCNXFwIEM:&imgrefurl=http://youmadbro.asia/&docid=61BXvJKRDGYjGM&imgurl=http://youmadbro.asia/trollimg/derp.png&w=400&h=300&ei=NSbUULmEIsy3hAfbx4HwBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=522&vpy=560&dur=34&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=166&ty=110&sig=114098381815429831546&page=2&tbnh=142&tbnw=183&start=36&ndsp=47&ved=1t:429,r:47,s:0,i:227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trxking

if you need any more help just ask..im here all day

Advertisement