Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to NY for first time? Experience? Safety?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Been a wish of mine for a while now to travel to the states, especially New York.

I've been around Europe a bit and use to travelling. Been to places like Barcelona, Belfast, Dublin, Las Palmas etc...

But how do these cities compare to New York with regards to safety and generally ''the ease of getting around''.

I would like to know, do you feel safe @ night, is it easy to get around. Thing's like that! I've no clue tbh...

Would just like people to share their experiences so I can get a clear image.

Many thanks!

Please also include where you stayed and how that was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Found NY very safe and been there twice. Walked around Manhattan at night no problems. Feel much less safe in Dublin, no question.
    Stayed in an apartment in Manhattan. Great city, can't wait to go back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DJDontaz

DustyMan wrote: »
    Found NY very safe and been there twice. Walked around Manhattan at night no problems. Feel much less safe in Dublin, no question.

Wow that's interesting. I must say though, I did get that impression for some reason :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

First of all, you'll love NY I'm sure. Been there 5 times and eager even more to go back.

I, too had your worries about safety etc in the city. I travelled there on my own (27 yo guy) and didn't come across a single problem, I travelled early in morning and quite late at night. Quiet subway rides can seem a little nervous but I never had a problem. On getting around, the subway is fantastic and relatively easy to follow. Travelling anywhere in any of the boroughs is pretty easy to get the hang of. I travelled to different parts of Brooklyn to play pick up soccer and it was all via subway rides. I'd recommend going to Brooklyn, if even just for the above ground subway ride with the views from the bridge, it's really great.

I stayed in a place called the Continental Hostel, that is actually just rented living apartments now. Be careful with where your staying with the tax issue, if your staying in a hostel and I think hotels, they'll charge you 14% city tax on top of your room charge. I didn't realise this until I was checking in.

It's a relatively safe city though in fairness. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DJDontaz

Corholio wrote: »
    First of all, you'll love NY I'm sure. Been there 5 times and eager even more to go back.

I, too had your worries about safety etc in the city. I travelled there on my own (27 yo guy) and didn't come across a single problem, I travelled early in morning and quite late at night. Quiet subway rides can seem a little nervous but I never had a problem. On getting around, the subway is fantastic and relatively easy to follow. Travelling anywhere in any of the boroughs is pretty easy to get the hang of. I travelled to different parts of Brooklyn to play pick up soccer and it was all via subway rides. I'd recommend going to Brooklyn, if even just for the above ground subway ride with the views from the bridge, it's really great.

I stayed in a place called the Continental Hostel, that is actually just rented living apartments now. Be careful with where your staying with the tax issue, if your staying in a hostel and I think hotels, they'll charge you 14% city tax on top of your room charge. I didn't realise this until I was checking in.

It's a relatively safe city though in fairness. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

That's great and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! It seems like the majority of people who have been there keep saying the same things ovr and over and it all sounds really good.

Thanks for the tip on the accommodation.

Truly appreciate the response.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

DJDontaz wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Been a wish of mine for a while now to travel to the states, especially New York.

I've been around Europe a bit and use to travelling. Been to places like Barcelona, Belfast, Dublin, Las Palmas etc...

But how do these cities compare to New York with regards to safety and generally ''the ease of getting around''.

I would like to know, do you feel safe @ night, is it easy to get around. Thing's like that! I've no clue tbh...

Would just like people to share their experiences so I can get a clear image.

Many thanks!

Please also include where you stayed and how that was.

Been living in NY for 2 years now and haven't seen any trouble- there is cops everywhere and as long as you don't goto to any known dangerous areas you will be fine.

The subway system is very extensive so getting around is cheap and easy. Even taxis aren't overly expensive

Enjoy your trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

Stayed at Desmond Tutu center. Fab hotel, the prices was also quite good and 10 mins from subway. The whole area is easy to get around in.
    Lots to see, great city...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 farreJ

Agree that central Manhattan is far safer to walk around at night time than Dublin city centre. Think a lot of people have this idea that it’s rife with crime and you’re bound to get mugged – this isn’t the case at all. 20 years ago maybe, but it’s actually one of the safest large cities in the U.S now. http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/28/us-crime-newyork-idUSTRE5BR38320091228

Getting around can be a bit overwhelming at first but the subway is pretty straightforward once you get your head around it. Taxis are way cheaper than in Ireland too. There’s no comparison between NY and any of the places in Europe that you’ve mentioned but you’ll have a great trip, it’s an amazing city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The subway is a big grid, as soon as you work out the up/downtown lines and the crosstown lines, you can get anywhere with ease.

We were nervous about safety, but with armed cops on every street corner, not much goes wrong.....just don't wander down alleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Agree with the posters above, NYC is a very safe place, cops all over the place to reassure the tourists. They can well afford it by the way at 8.875% sales tax!

The biggest risk in NYC is that you'll believe some of the BS that they'll tell you in the independent electrical shops on the main shopping streets. I'd recommend that you not buy any gadgets or electrical items outside major stores like the B&H superstore (9th Ave., 33rd to 34th St.) and chains like Radio Shack, Staples, Apple etc.

Some of the US TV network stations have done programs about the independent electrical & camera shops (similar to Anne Robinson's Watchdog on the BBC) with hidden cameras and the claims they made for some items was outrageous. In one case the assistant was recorded selling a tourist a bog-standard mobile phone, his sales pitch included the claim that the phone would work off satellites in places where there was no terrestrial network :eek:

In almost every case, the customer was asked if they were in NYC on vacation and were they going home soon, anyone who said they were going home that day or the next got the hard sell, the shop was safe in the knowledge that the punter would be back home when they realised they were sold a pup.

Caveat Emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Good shout above. Chancers alright.

Another reputable store is J&R on Park Row downtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

New York is perfectly safe, I've traveled on the subway late at night and walked the streets at 3 /4 am on my way back to my hotel. The place is crawling with police, in fact I found it very strange that the first time I came home, it took me 10 days to see a Garda. I work off Harcourt street and walk from Trinity, up Grafton Street every day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Been to NYC over 10 times, never an issue with safety. As above walking around at anytime of day or night while drunk etc was fine

Advertisement