Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engines from A Class locos

Options
  • 11-11-2012 8:26pm

Back in 1995 when the last A Class locos were being chopped the ITG had to pay about £10,000 for each. At the time the high price was due to the high secondhand value of the 12 cylinder 645 engines. I was told that during the scrapping process the good engines were sometimes taken out and put to one side for sale while the loco itself was chopped. The question is, were some exported for reuse so that it might be possible to hear them in some class of diesel in some country, or better still on YouTube!
    Does anyone know?
    At the time Israel was mentioned to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Fratello wrote: »
    Back in 1995 when the last A Class locos were being chopped the ITG had to pay about £10,000 for each. At the time the high price was due to the high secondhand value of the 12 cylinder 645 engines. I was told that during the scrapping process the good engines were sometimes taken out and put to one side for sale while the loco itself was chopped. The question is, were some exported for reuse so that it might be possible to hear them in some class of diesel in some country, or better still on YouTube!
    Does anyone know?
    At the time Israel was mentioned to me.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_G22_Series

Or try Downpatrick next Sunday !!! :-)

Advertisement