Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me get this straight

Options
  • 11-11-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

As an Irish citizen entitled to the maintenance grant, I can study in any EU university and still receive the grant that I'm entitled to in Ireland? The only difference is the Irish government won't pay for my fees?
    So if I find a course for example in Spain and lets pretend I'm fluent in Spanish and the fees are €25 (pretend!), I can study in say Madrid while in receipt of my Irish grant?
    How does this work? I mean it seems too good to be true(assuming you speak the native language and have low fees to pay ofc).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

This is true. If you want to study abroad look into countries that teach degree subjects through English. Actually, look into studying in Scotland because you will qualify for free fees. Happy days.

I'm currently studying in the UK, in receipt of BTEA but have to pay fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Wow that's great! Is it any country in the EU or are there exceptions?
    I know holland and finland have some courses in english, I better look into further:)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/studying_abroad/studying_outside_ireland.html

This should give you all the information you need, including a link to information about Universities in Europe. I think the Universities have to be publicly funded, so no private Universities.

I was going to mention Finland in my previous post. The cost of living is higher there, but there are no fees (or very low) for undergrads. Also, I think I read somewhere that the Finnish government give bursaries or grants to all EU students studying there. You'd have to look that up yourself, as I'm not 100% sure about it.

Definitely do you research on it, and choose somewhere that you can make your Irish grant stretch to in terms of living costs. For entry in 2013 you would want to start checking application closing dates etc. Here in the UK it's January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Butterface wrote: »
    This is true. If you want to study abroad look into countries that teach degree subjects through English. Actually, look into studying in Scotland because you will qualify for free fees. Happy days.

I'm currently studying in the UK, in receipt of BTEA but have to pay fees.

Can you provide any more information on the free fees in scotland, is it basically if you have an irish passport that you have your tuition fees paid for you? Is it just for undergraduate or does it cover postgraduate too?

http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/eu_students/2001_or_later/eligibility.htm

That should provide you with the information about studying in Scotland.

It's not just specific to Irish students, but to all member states of the EU. The system basically only discriminates against the other constituent members of the United Kingdom - England, Wales and N.Ireland. It was something to do with trying to keep down the inevitable influx of UK students to Scotland when the implemented the Scottish government implemented the free fees there.

There is a loophole where students with parents from another EU country could claim dual nationality and get in on those grounds - so a student with a parent from Ireland or France for example. Also, any students from Northern Ireland who apply for an Irish passport is eligible at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Thanks for the information. It's a lot to take in but I think it's definitely worth the time to research all my options. Cheers :)

Advertisement