Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone listen to RTE Radio 1 via DAB?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Sound quality has gone to the dogs lately.

Surges in volume, dropouts etc.

Listening to Marian now. Both of the above happening, in addition to unequal mixing amongst the guests.

Anyone concur?

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DonalAD

Yes - we have the very same problem here in Limerick. The RTE sound is surging. We have two DAB radios so it is not a problem with the set. Also tried a better aerial and no difference. This problem with the sound started just a few weeks ago. Thanks for posting – I thought it was just us that had the problem. Will investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE bitrate on DTT and DAB is too low for any sort of quality. I've also seen Lyric vanish from DAB.

The FM is better coverage and usually sounds better.

Actually my 1939 battery valve portable on 252kHz LW RTE1 sounds better than many TVs and DAB sets (speakers too small).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

DonalAD,

Yes, started just a couple of weeks back with me too. Before that I thought it was excellent, I have to say.

You'd kinda think they'd notice these things!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Spare Bowler

Also the wrong programme was broadcast on RTE radio 1, two Sundays in a row. They had Mass on RTE Radio 1 dab and RTE Radio Extra dab at 10am, I had to switch to FM for the RTE Radio 1 programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

RTE for its own selfish reasons has completely blown DAB. The only time I use DAB is when I'm in Donegal to get the Northern Ireland services.

Thank God RTENL cannot sabotage Satellite and online Radio services from elsewhere *cough* UK *cough*

• Advertisement

The problems with the RTE DAB service were solved before the end of November here in Dublin. I have 4 DAB radios in the house, in the kitchen in the bedroom (alarm) in the room where the ironing is done and in the sitting room which is a "Roberts 83i". The roberts is connected to a power amp and equalizer and feeds 2 rooms and is DAB and DAB+. Living in Knocklyon in Dublin we have a very good signal from Three Rock, and the sound quality is very good on all DAB stations, we also have several DAB+ stations. The DAB+ stations broadcast on a lower bit rate than the DAB stations and there seems to be no differance in sound quality to the DAB which are at a higher bit rate. It seems that the DAB+ will be used for "Quantity" over "Quality". I do not have any radio in my house or car with LW, so RTE Radio 1 Extra is a must for me. The RTE DAB service is much much better here in South Dublin than the LW signal and in the car I use my mobile phone with the "Tune In Radio" app which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You just need a decent LW radio. LW coverage is all of Ireland and most of UK!

DAB+ is only used to save money (more stations) and never quality. DAB in Ireland is poor quality and poor coverage and like BBC in UK, an RTE ego trip. It's pointless.

Now that Christmas FM is gone for another year if you are in Dublin, you should do a rescan. "Love Radio" is on mux2, DAB and DAB+. It will give RTE Gold a run for its money, very good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Didnt know you could get any other dab stations in ireland, than Rte's

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

RTÉ has a permanent DAB service. The other services available are trials by DB Digital Broadcasting. See here: http://www.dbdb.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

DAB is pants. Stations long closed remain in list (even after rescan), no main commercial stations, low bit rates, horrible worrbling sound on that 80s station.

If its not looked after, it should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Red05

Bought a DAB radio today and it wouldnt scan one single channel. Even though I am supposedly in the DAB transmission hotspot. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try an upstairs room near a window. Try again in friends houses. Bring back to the shop and get them to demo it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

RTÉ DAB is worse than ever now.

They really are tossers.

D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads. While we're a bit more relaxed about this in Broadcasting there are limits

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement