Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[synth-rock/experimental] new cassette by justin scott gray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

a cassette? ... mmm okay. I wonder if I can download an app to play these strange looking relics

• Registered Users Posts: 44 amokrecordings

mordeith wrote: »
    a cassette? ... mmm okay. I wonder if I can download an app to play these strange looking relics

ahaha ... they're making a comeback!

no need to worry, the tape comes with a ready to play digital download ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Not sure they ever went away which is pretty surprising. A mate of mine has an involvement in this label http://www.tapeworm.org.uk/ttw.html and cassette tapes still work for them.

old gregg wrote: »
    Not sure they ever went away which is pretty surprising. A mate of mine has an involvement in this label http://www.tapeworm.org.uk/ttw.html and cassette tapes still work for them.

It makes sense to us... They're way cheaper to produce then CD's and you also get the analog format which is a huge plus... It's nice having the music change over time... It's almost like it's "alive" on the tape...

Also, I know for our label, we would like to have vinyl but we don't sell very many copies of each release, so this is a good alternative.

While anyone can just stream or download from their phone, ipad, or computer... Analog forces you to take time out of your day and hold it in your hand before you experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Is analaog on cassette tape a plus though? I can see the advantage when its on vinyl but tapes always sound very dull compared to CDs or vinyl.

Still fair play for producing a physical product which I always appreciate.

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Is analaog on cassette tape a plus though? I can see the advantage when its on vinyl but tapes always sound very dull compared to CDs or vinyl.

Still fair play for producing a physical product which I always appreciate.

It depends on your type of tape (metal bias has the same frequency range as CD), the quality of shell, and your style of music... Personally, I like it when an artist gives me both the analog and the digital formats.... You're right, sometimes it can sound a little "dull" but for certain styles of music this is a plus. (especially harsh experimental noise albums)...

I like this particular release (justin scott gray's tape) because when you compare the tape with the download, you hear the same songs but different parts stand out. It's neat to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

A logical progression from his last album ("My New Synth") which was made entirely on the "DSI Mopho Keyboard" analog synth... This new effort pairs the same thick analog synthy goodness, with high energy live drumming and a bit of vocoder (+ guest vocals on a track by experimental artist "b.burroughs")... The end result is a heady mix of instrumental synth rock. Definitely check this out!

Order A Cassette From Amok Recordings:
    http://amokrecordings.bandcamp.com/merch/justin-scott-gray-all-in-time

Listen Online:
    http://amokrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/all-in-time-2

awsome! i wanna produce stuff like that too. tell me, how did you go about it?!!! i want to buy this album haha wheres the download button?

shane9689 wrote: »
    awsome! i wanna produce stuff like that too. tell me, how did you go about it?!!! i want to buy this album haha wheres the download button?

Great!

If you would like to purchase, go here (http://amokrecordings.bandcamp.com/merch/justin-scott-gray-all-in-time) and buy a tape... You will get an immediate digital download :)

Feel free to reply if you have any questions or problems.

Great!

If you would like to purchase, go here (http://amokrecordings.bandcamp.com/merch/justin-scott-gray-all-in-time) and buy a tape... You will get an immediate digital download :)

Feel free to reply if you have any questions or problems.

just downloaded it, thanks man.
    i was just wondering... do you use live drums? and if so, which do you put down first. the drums or synths?

cheers

just downloaded it, thanks man.
    i was just wondering... do you use live drums? and if so, which do you put down first. the drums or synths?

cheers

Thanks so much man! Just got the payment. I'll ship out your tape asap.

Regarding the synths / drums... Either can happen first in the creative process, however, I do always decide the tempo of the song first. That way any analog sequencers or loop times will be synchronized... Whether it's a synth line that turns into a song, or a drum part, I always make sure that everything will fit together in time (hehe "All In Time") and the drums always get laid down first and then built upon.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

i was listening through the album and its awsome, i love it, thanks again. i noticed the song childlike empress has a melody line that is really similar to something i heard before. did you sample or borrow an idea for it? i love that song, but the melody sounds so familiar

i was listening through the album and its awsome, i love it, thanks again. i noticed the song childlike empress has a melody line that is really similar to something i heard before. did you sample or borrow an idea for it? i love that song, but the melody sounds so familiar

Awesome! Thanks

Actually all of the instruments were performed live... Everything except the vocoder was created using a "Dave Smith Mopho Keyboard" analog synthesizer... The melody in "Childlike Empress" is pretty simple and I don't doubt that it probably exists in dozens of other songs... But to answer your question, no sampling. Possibly just tapped into the collective consciousness for a second or two ;)

Check out the music video for that track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jubIAUgW1I&feature=share&list=UU1iUDHQl4-xx9wlznvTRw-A

Advertisement