Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowance, suitable accomodation

Options
  • 10-11-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

been laid off work 6 months now and on jsa and broke up with my ex, we have 1 child together, im looking to get place of my own, and would be seeking rent allowance. so my question is am i to seek a 2 bedroom apartment, so theres an spare room for when he comes to stay at the weekend, or will i have to seek a 1 bedroom.any information would be much appreciated,dont know to much about it as ive not been in this situation before, and cant find much on citizens information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gmcevoy

I would find out first if your entitled to rent allowance and if so how much.. I wouldn be to concerned about whether there is one or two bedroom as the welfare will tell you he shouldn be staying regardless that if your seperated he should be taking the child and also him staying will effect how much your entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

been laid off work 6 months now and on jsa and broke up with my ex, we have 1 child together, im looking to get place of my own, and would be seeking rent allowance. so my question is am i to seek a 2 bedroom apartment, so theres an spare room for when he comes to stay at the weekend, or will i have to seek a 1 bedroom.any information would be much appreciated,dont know to much about it as ive not been in this situation before, and cant find much on citizens information.

As mentioned, this is something you should discuss with the Community Welfare Officer (now known as the Dept of Social Protection Representative) before you look for a place to live. Much depends on the custody arrangements for your child and how the CWO will view those. This info from Citizens Information is helpful http://whatsnew.citizensinformation.ie/2012/04/28/know-your-rights-custody-of-children-and-rent-supplement-coimed-leana-agus-forlonadh-cosa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

No you are not, legally you are nothing to your child either as you are not married, so unless you have guardianship rights for your child and and joint custody then you are not entitled to extra anything for the child.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...upplement.html

rent supplement info in above link

you will be looking for a single adult in whatever county you are living in.

For the record also, you can not rent anywhere above the threshold for your situation and your country, doing so is defrauding the system and making an unfair system for those on RS who can not add extra apart from what is required by the social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 psychosismoses

Balagan wrote: »
    As mentioned, this is something you should discuss with the Community Welfare Officer (now known as the Dept of Social Protection Representative) before you look for a place to live. Much depends on the custody arrangements for your child and how the CWO will view those. This info from Citizens Information is helpful http://whatsnew.citizensinformation.ie/2012/04/28/know-your-rights-custody-of-children-and-rent-supplement-coimed-leana-agus-forlonadh-cosa/

that was very helful..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

2 bed.

Include the birth cert of the relevant child with your application, regardless of whether or not you are named on the birth cert.

If you get work at some stage, the other side of the coin is that you will be linked to the child, and therefore liable for maintenance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement